Being human is not an option
The NOVA School of Law is at the forefront of higher education, characterized by its innovation. The importance of Social Law and Innovation are well recognized.
The fundamental goal of the course is to provide an integrated vision of a wide range of fields of study, such as Labour Law, Social Security Law, Migration Law, and Resolution Conflict with its emergent legislation. The course is valued for its blend of traditional law with developments in the associated areas of Social and Innovation Law.
The course aims to provide law graduates with a balanced education in emerging areas of law, and to equip them with the necessary tools for a specialized career in a range of professional fields. The interdisciplinary course structure facilitates strategies to deal with complex problem resolution inherent in Social and Innovation Law.
President: Cristina Queiroz | Board Members: Francisco Pereira Coutinho (taught component) | João Zenha Martins (taught component) | Miguel Moura (non-taught component) | Fabrizio Esposito (non-taught component)
Consolidate and deepen the knowledge acquired in the bachelor’s degree, especially with regard to Social and Innovation Law; Understand the structure, interconnection and scope of different social laws; Develop skills in scientific research; Identify labour negotiation strategies and conflict resolution with regard to labour, procedure, migration and social security; Knowledge of essential innovatory tools for a professional career in the field.
The Master in Social and Innovation Law deepens the knowledge and skills acquired at bachelor degree level. Holders of a bachelor’s law degree or equivalent will be given preference in admissions.
This course is taught during working hours.
Number of Years
Publication of the A3ES decision
DGES registration number
Publication in Diário da República
Para além da disciplina obrigatória, os estudantes devem completar 32 ECTS em disciplinas de opção restrita das aqui elencadas e 20 ECTS em disciplinas de opção livre que podem escolher livremente de qualquer disciplina lecionada na NOVA School of Law.
OP= Restricted Options (total 32 ECTS)
*Same course, different language of tuition. Students must choose the version they wish to attend (Portuguese or English).
**The successful completion of both curricular units represents certified training, giving access to the list of certified mediators of the Ministry of Justice.
In addition to the mandatory courses, students must complete 32 ECTS in the elective courses listed above and 20 ECTS in any courses taught at NOVA School of Law or selected from the above electives.
Total ECTS Taught Component: 60 ECTS
Master’s total: 120 ECTS.
LENGTH 4 SEMESTERS
TAUGHT IN ENGLISH
These places are available within the areas of specialization of International and European Law, Law and Technology, Social and Innovation Law.
Applications from students who prove they will be able to complete their bachelor’s degree(licenciatura) by September will be accepted.
Submission of applications: from 1 to 26 February
Announcement of application results: 30 March
Submission of appeal against results: from 30 March to 05 April
Enrolment: from 06 to 12 April
Submission of applications: from 19 April to 14 May
Announcement of application results: 31 May
Submission of appeal against results: from 30 May to 04 June
Enrolment: from 07 to 11 June
*1st phase remaining places, if any
Holders of a bachelor’s degree (licenciatura) or legal equivalent.
– Final grade of the degree which the applicant is applying with (50%);
– Relevance and suitability of previous background to the master’s degree course with regard to the pluridisciplinary nature of the course (50%); the jury assigns each applicant a grade of 0 to 20, based on analysis of the letter of motivation and curriculum vitae. If necessary, the members of the jury may decide to conduct an interview with all or some of the applicants;
– Applicants with a rating lower than 9.5 will automatically be excluded.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS (ONLINE):
– Completion of the application form (online);
– Payment of the application fee using the ATM or Paypal reference provided through the submission procedure (51.00€);
– Online submission of the following documents: motivation letter, curriculum vitae (European model), copy of the course(s) certificate(s); copy of the tax number identification card; copy of the Identification Card;
– Applicants conditioned upon the conclusion of the bachelor’s degree must submit an interim academic transcript showing the subjects already completed with their final grades, and the degree, the institution, expected average and the conclusion date. In addition, a statement from the institution of higher education where they are attending the degree should be submitted, proving their academic situation;
– Applicants with foreign qualifications must send an academic transcript or a declaration with the final average of the degree;
– Applicants who do not report the final grade average, expected or completed will be graded with a minimum score of 10 on the 0-20 scale.
During the application, candidates must submit a request for accreditation of academic qualifications and professional experience obtained before entering the study cycle. For this purpose, the applicant must complete the appropriate form and attach all relevant documentation. When the request for accreditation occurs at the time of the application, the accreditation is not a sufficient condition to be accepted into the study cycle and only can be granted after the admission into the study cycle, in the same study cycle only.
All documents must be presented in Portuguese, English, French or Spanish, and endorsed by the competent authority of the State where the document originates.
Applications omitting the documents requested or where the application fee has not been paid will be rejected.
Applications available through the NOVA School of Law applications portal.
– Application fee: 51.00€
– Administrative costs per registration/enrolment (each year): 35.00€
– School insurance (each year): 3.00€
– Annual fee of the taught component: 4,200.00€
– Non-curricular phase, one year: 2,000.00€
– Enrolment in additional semester of the non-taught component (dissertation): 1000,00€
– Extension of the non-curricular phase (90 days): 600.00€
*Tuition fees are subject to approval of the General Council of NOVA University, Lisbon.
*Consult the full documentation regarding fees, emoluments and taxes for the academic year in question.
Tuition fees are annual and due in full upon enrolment in the course. The payment in instalments is allowed for the students’ mere convenience.
In the case of withdrawal from the course, the amounts already paid are not refundable. The remaining tuition fee payments due for the academic year to which the application relates must also be paid.
Only in situations where the applicant does not complete the degree which he/she is applying with (in these cases, the applicant must submit a declaration from the institution of higher education by September 2021), the amounts paid for the tuition fee will be reimbursed (application fee, school insurance and administrative costs are not reimbursed).
The application fee is to be paid by ATM or Paypal. The reference will be given online upon submission of the application form.
– Students whose final average admission to this Master is equal to or higher than 17 points (on a scale 0/20) benefit from a 50% discount on the total amount of the tuition fee, which cannot be combined with other discounts;
– Students whose final average admission to this Master is equal to or higher than 16 points (on a scale 0/20) benefit from a 30% discount on the total amount of the tuition fee, which cannot be combined with other discounts;
– Three merit scholarships will be granted in the non-curricular semester (in either the master’s or specialization area): one corresponding to the total of the tuition fee, which will be awarded to the best grade in the curricular phase, and the other two merit scholarships will be granted to the second and third best classifications, which will receive a reduction of 50% of the tuition fee. To assess the best classifications in the curricular phase, only the classifications obtained in the NOVA School of Law will be taken into account. This scholarship assumes the conclusion of the curricular phase is within the stipulated time limit.
Students or ex-students (undergraduate, graduate, master’s and doctoral) with a degree already completed at NOVA School of Law benefit from a 10% discount on the tuition fee, in addition to the financial discount.
– Students who choose to pay tuition fees in a single initial payment receive a 5% discount on the amount to be paid;
CURRENT PROTOCOL DISCOUNTS:
Discount of 25%, which cannot be combined with other discounts, for members of:
– Association of Portuguese Judges and the Trade Union;
– Association of Public Prosecution Service Magistrates.
* Discount on the annual fee is only provided if the degree is completed within the stipulated time limit.
* Discounts are applied on the final payment of the tuition fee.
TUITION FEES, EMOLUMENTS/CHARGES AND TAXES
National and International Students
Annual fee for the taught component: 4,200.00€
|Instalments||Amount €||Payment deadline|
|1.st payment||1 000,00 €||From 6 to 12 April 2021|
|2.nd payment||355,56 €||From 1 to 10 July 2021|
|3.rd payment||355,56 €||From 1 to 10 September 2021|
|4.th payment||355,56 €||From 1 to 10 October 2021|
|5.th payment||355,56 €||From 1 to 10 November 2021|
|6.th payment||355,56 €||From 1 to 10 January 2022|
|7.th payment||355,55 €||From 1 to 10 February 2022|
|8.th payment||355,55 €||From 1 to 10 March 2022|
|9.th payment||355,55 €||From 1 to 10 April 2022|
|10.th payment||355,55 €||From 1 to 10 May 2022|
Tuition fees are annual and are due in full upon enrolment in the course.
Students may also choose to pay the annual tuition fee in 4 installments, in which case they should select this option during registration.
Annual fee for the research component: 2,000.00€
|Instalments||Amount €||Payment deadline|
|1.st payment||500.00 €||From 1 to 10 September 2021|
|2.nd payment||500.00 €||From 1 to 10 October 2021|
|3.rd payment||500.00 €||From 1 to 10 November 2021|
|4.th payment||500.00 €||From 1 to 10 January 2022|
Tuition fee for the extension of the research component: 600.00€
Request for extension of the dissertation, internship report or work project delivery deadline, (90 days).
|Instalments||Amount €||Payment deadline|
|Single payment||600.00 €||Before the delivery of the dissertation, internship report or work project|
If the student does not deliver the dissertation within the time limit, they can register for another year paying the corresponding amount of 2,000.00€
Emoluments/Charges and Taxes
The charges presented in the table below are currently applicable. The publication of the national table of fees and charges of academic acts and services of public university education and polytechnic higher education is still awaited, and consequently they may change at any time.
|Designation||Amount €||Payment Deadline|
|Administrative costs per enrolment/registration||35.00 €||Upon registration/enrolment|
|School Insurance||3.00 €||Upon registration/enrolment|
|Registration Certificate||6.00 €||At time of the request|
|Conclusion Certificate||50.00 €||At time of the request|
|Improvement grade exam||15.00 €||At time of the request|
Payments must be made by ATM or PayPal using the references available in the Restricted Area. Failure to make tuition fee payments within the indicated periods may incur an increased charge in the amount to be paid, or the suspension of registration and enrolment, as well as annulment of all acts performed in the academic year to which the non-compliance relates.
“The Master’s in Social and Innovation Law was a highly relevant course of study for me to pursue. I am a lawyer in close collaboration with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Portuguese Navy. In the past few years, I have dedicated my professional life to an Institution whose principal concern is their citizen’s welfare, the SCML. My choice of this Master’s is due to the subjects offered and to the teaching staff. I have taken part in Erasmus, and several courses at national and European universities, and it is with great pleasure that I return to NOVA School of Law, a Faculty with a multicultural environment and where the jurist and humanist stand side by side.”
“I have a Bachelor degree in Law from Vale do Rio dos Sinos University. I am a lawyer and since 2016, I have been Prosecutor to the Architecture and Urbanism Council from Rio Grande do Sul.
I have chosen the Master in Social and Innovation Law because it is a course where there is a strong connection between theory and practice, and because it focuses on present-day situations. I couldn’t be happier with my decision, especially with regard to the teaching staff and the well-structured curriculum that NOVA School of Law offers.”