Settle with creativity
The Master in Litigation and Arbitration is the appropriate choice for lawyers who intend to pursue a career as dispute resolution counsels or as judges.
The course prepares future judges and lawyers for the national exams for the ‘Centro de Estudos Judiciários’, and the Portuguese Bar. Furthermore, master students will broaden their legal knowledge in essential fields of both national and international law. The Degree includes a strong component of Alternative Dispute Resolution methods, such as arbitration and mediation; essential skills for a modern dispute resolution practitioner. Relevance given to the training of Oral Advocacy and the English language (five courses are taught in English) is also a strong feature of this Master. Finally, the limited number of places fosters proximity between professors and students, with a specific focus on the individual path of each student.
The Master in Litigation and Arbitration prepares students to be at the forefront of modern dispute resolution. Not only will Master’s students be able to deepen their knowledge in core areas of the traditional legal professions but also and equally relevant, they will be trained to deal with new knowledge, new realities and to create new solutions for emerging legal issues. The students qualified in this Master will have the skills to tackle the challenges the modern world presents to dispute resolution practitioners in secure but innovative ways.
Students with a bachelor’s in law who intend to pursue a career as dispute resolution lawyers or judges or who intend to work as mediators or in arbitration, as in-house counsels of companies.
This course is taught during working hours.
Number of Years
Publication of the A3ES decision
DGES registration number
Publication in Diário da República
Litigation and Arbitration
R/A -Cr 258/2015/AL01
|Order n.o 8471/2020 of 2 September 2020|
LENGTH 3 SEMESTERS
Applications from students who prove they will be able to complete their bachelor’s degree (licenciatura) by September will be accepted.
Submission of applications: from 1 to 26 February
Announcement of application results: 30 March
Submission of appeal against results: from 30 March to 05 April
Enrolment: from 06 to 12 April
Holders of a bachelor’s degree (licenciatura) or legal equivalent.
Applicants will be selected according to the following parameters:
– Final grade of the degree which the applicant is applying with (50%);
– Relevance and suitability of previous background to the master’s degree course with regard to the pluridisciplinary nature of the course (50%); the jury assigns each applicant a grade of 0 to 20, based on analysis of the letter of motivation and curriculum vitae. If necessary, the members of the jury may decide to conduct an interview with all or some of the applicants. Due consideration is given to: a degree in Law, for post-Bologna graduates, a degree corresponding to at least 240 ECTS; classifications obtained on subjects from the bachelor degree most relevant for the Master’s Course (areas of Civil Law and Criminal Law); Professional experience, giving relevance to internships in law firms, courts or similar institutions; Other relevant competency indicators for the Master’s Course, such as merit awards; participation in international competitions; Fluency in English;
– Applicants with a rating lower than 9.5 will automatically be excluded.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS (ONLINE):
– Completion of the application form (online);
– Payment of the application fee using the ATM or Paypal reference provided through the submission procedure (51.00€);
– Online submission of the following documents: motivation letter, curriculum vitae (European model), copy of the course(s) certificate(s); copy of the tax number identification card; copy of the Identification Card;
– Applicants conditioned upon the conclusion of the bachelor’s degree must submit an interim academic transcript showing the subjects already completed with their final grades, and the degree, the institution, expected average and the conclusion date. In addition, a statement from the institution of higher education where they are attending the degree should be submitted, proving their academic situation;
– Applicants with foreign qualifications must send an academic transcript or a declaration with the final average of the degree;
– Applicants who do not report the final grade average, expected or completed will be graded with a minimum score of 10 on the 0-20 scale;
– During the application, candidates must submit a request for accreditation of academic qualifications and professional experience obtained before entering the study cycle. For this purpose, the applicant must complete the appropriate form and attach all relevant documentation. When the request for accreditation occurs at the time of the application, the accreditation is not a sufficient condition to be accepted into the study cycle and only can be granted after the admission into the study cycle, in the same study cycle only.
All documents must be presented in Portuguese, English, French or Spanish, and endorsed by the competent authority of the State where the document originates.
Applications omitting the documents requested or where the application fee has not been paid will be rejected.
Applications available through the NOVA School of Law applications portal.
– Application fee: 51.00€
– Administrative costs per registration/enrolment (each year): 35.00€
– Institution insurance (each year): 3.00€
– Annual fee for the taught component: 4,600.00€
– Non-taught component (dissertation) 1 semester: 1,300.00€
– Extension of the non-taught component (90 days): 600.00€
*Tuition fees are subject to approval of the General Council of NOVA University, Lisbon.
*Consult the full documentation regarding fees, emoluments and taxes for the academic year in question.
Tuition fees are annual and due in full upon enrolment in the course. The payment in instalments is allowed for the students’ mere convenience.
In the case of withdrawal from the course, the amounts already paid are not refundable. The remaining tuition fee payments due for the academic year to which the application relates must also be paid.
Only in situations where the applicant does not complete the degree which he/she is applying with (in these cases, the applicant must submit a declaration from the institution of higher education by September 2021), the amounts paid for the tuition fee will be reimbursed (application fee, school insurance and administrative costs are not reimbursed).
The application fee is to be paid by ATM or Paypal. The reference will be given online upon submission of the application form.
– Students whose final average admission to this Master is equal to or higher than 17 points (on a scale 0/20) benefit from a 50% discount on the total amount of the tuition fee, which cannot be combined with other discounts;
-Students whose final average admission to this Master is equal to or higher than 16 points (on a scale 0/20) benefit from a 30% discount on the total amount of the tuition fee, which cannot be combined with other discounts;
Three merit scholarships will be granted in the non-curricular semester (in either the master’s or specialization area): one corresponding to the total of the tuition fee, which will be awarded to the best grade in the taught component, and the other two merit scholarships will be granted to the second and third best classifications, which will receive a reduction of 50% of the tuition fee. To assess the best classifications in the taught component, only the classifications obtained in the NOVA School of Law will be taken into account. This scholarship assumes the conclusion of the taught component is within the stipulated time limit.
Students or ex-students (undergraduate, graduate, master’s and doctoral) with a degree already completed at NOVA School of Law benefit from a 10% discount on the tuition fee, in addition to the financial discount.
– Students who choose to pay tuition fees in a single initial payment receive a 5% discount on the amount to be paid;
CURRENT PROTOCOL DISCOUNTS: Discount of 25%, which cannot be combined with other discounts, for members of:
– Association of Portuguese Judges and the Trade Union;
– Association of Public Prosecution Service Magistrates.
* Discount on the annual fee is only provided if the degree is completed within the stipulated time limit.
* Discounts are applied on the final payment of the tuition fee.
TUITION FEES, EMOLUMENTS/CHARGES AND TAXES
National and International Students.
Annual Fee for the taught component: 4,600.00 €
|Instalments||Amount €||Payment deadline|
|1.st payment||1,000.00 €||From 6 to 12 April 2021|
|2.nd payment||400.00 €||From 1 to 10 July 2021|
|3.rd payment||400.00 €||From 1 to 10 September 2021|
|4.th payment||400.00 €||From 1 to 10 October 2021|
|5.th payment||400.00 €||From 1 to 10 November 2021|
|6.th payment||400.00 €||From 1 to 10 January 2022|
|7.th payment||400.00 €||From 1 to 10 February 2022|
|8.th payment||400.00 €||From 1 to 10 March 2022|
|9.th payment||400.00 €||From 1 to 10 April 2022|
|10.th payment||400.00 €||From 1 to 10 May 2022|
Tuition fees are annual and are due in full upon enrollment in the course.
Students may also choose to pay the annual tuition fee in 4 installments, in which case they should select this option during registration.
Fee for the research component: 1,300.00 € .
|Instalments||Amount €||Payment deadline|
|1.st payment||325.00€||From 1 to 10 September 2021|
|2.nd payment||325.00€||From 1 to 10 October 2021|
|3.rd payment||325.00€||From 1 to 10 November 2021|
|4.th payment||325.00€||From 1 to 10 January 2022|
Tuition fee of the extension of the research component: 600.00 €
Request for extension of the dissertation, internship report or work project delivery deadline, (90 days).
|Instalments||Amount €||Payment deadline|
|Single payment||600.00 €||Before the delivery of the dissertation, internship report or work project|
Emoluments/Charges and Taxes
The charges presented in the table below are currently applicable . The publication of the national table of fees and charges of academic acts and services of public university education and polytechnic higher education is still awaited, so they may change at any time.
|Designation||Amount €||Payment Deadline|
|Administrative costs per enrolment/registration||35.00 €||Upon registration/enrolment|
|School Insurance||3.00 €||Upon registration/enrolment|
|Registration Certificate||6.00 €||At time of the request|
|Conclusion Certificate||50.00€||At time of the request|
|Improvement grade exam||15.00€||At time of the request|
Payments must be made by ATM or Paypal using the references available in the Restricted Area. Failure to make tuition fees payment within the indicated periods may incur an increased charge in the amount to be paid or the suspension of registration and enrolment, as well as the annulment of all acts performed in the academic year to which the non-compliance relates.
“When I hear reference to the course, it is often with respect to the specific training offered in advocacy and judiciary. That was the main reason that led me to choose this course, a course to be noted. However, it is not the only reason why today I know it was the right choice (I say this from the perspective of the judiciary, but also with reference to advocacy). It was the right choice because of the Professors, who, with a wide range of professional backgrounds, took on the mission of leading us in the first steps of moving from academic to professional life, often posing challenges for which only later we would find ourselves prepared. It was similar for the course contents, whose selection was not always evident, but sooner or later proved appropriate. The course is imbued with Nova’s spirit of openness, proximity and practice. The Master in Litigation and Arbitration has a wide range of paths and objectives, and has proven
to fulfill its purpose: to help us open doors to becoming professional and valuable.”
“The Master’s in Litigation and Arbitration offers a flexible, international and future-driven program. With particular emphasis on the development of soft skills, it is the practical component of the Master’s that makes the difference: in particular, the possibility of replacing the traditional thesis with an internship or, in my case, project work. The opportunity to represent NOVA in one of the largest international competitions in the area of Litigation and Arbitration is an example of this innovative and refreshing approach, that taught me to look at law from a new perspective, for which I will always be grateful. Today I have no doubt that the Master’s degree at NOVA was a turning point in my career, offering me the guidance I needed in the transition from my academic to professional life.“