Undock the future
Sea Governance is an interdisciplinary, unique and innovative program dedicated to the study of all issues related to ocean governance.
Internationally distinguished as one of the best master’s programs at a global level, it will hereafter be lectured in English, reinforcing its international scope, conscious that on the oceans we meet the main challenges and opportunities for sustainable global development.
NOVA School of Law is the sole Portuguese institution forming part of the UN and Nippon Foundation of Japan, with a program of study devoted to the Law of the Sea. It is engaged in supporting students for both public and private entities, as well as in research at some of the most important international institutions on maritime issues.
President: Armando Marques Guedes | Board Members: Assunção Cristas (taught component) | Vasco Becker- Weinberg (non-taught component)
The Master’s offers specialized training paths on the sea via a multidisciplinary and integrated approach committed
to sustainable development. It offers a Post-Graduate Certificate (1st phase) while simultaneously generating the conditions to continue studies towards the completion of our Master’s degree in Law and Economy of the Sea (2nd phase).
Academic qualifications are accepted from a wide range of disciplines. In the last few years, Law and Economics
of the Sea students have come from Law, Economics, Management, Finance, Social and Political Sciences, International Relations, Geography, Marine Biology, and Engineering backgrounds. Our syllabus is designed to enhance new holistic approaches to maritime studies and thus offer new tools attuned to its better governance.
This course is taught after working hours.
Number of Years
Publication of the A3ES decision
DGES registration number
Publication in Diário da República
Law and Economics of the Sea
The curricular component corresponds to 60 ECTS and consists of 8 mandatory course units (38 ECTS). The remaining 22 ECTS correspond to subjects of restricted options.
*to be confirmed
LENGTH 4 SEMESTERS
TAUGHT IN ENGLISH
Applications from students who prove they will be able to complete their bachelor’s degree
(licenciatura) by September 2020 will be accepted.
Submission of applications: from 1 to 26 February
Announcement of application results: 30 March
Submission of appeal against results: from 30 March to 05 April
Enrolment: from 06 to 12 April
Submission of applications: from 19 April to 14 May
Announcement of application results: 31 May
Submission of appeal against results: from 30 May to 04 June
Enrolment: from 07 to 11 June
*1st phase remaining places, if any
Submission of applications: from 14 June to 14 July
Announcement of application results: 23 July
Submission of appeal against results: from 23 to 29 July
Enrolment: from 26 to 30 July
*2nd phase remaining places, if any
Holders of a bachelor’s degree (licenciatura) or legal equivalent.
Applicants will be selected according to the following parameters:
– Final grade of the degree which the applicant is applying with (50%);
– Relevance and suitability of previous background to the master’s degree course with regard to the pluridisciplinary nature of the course (50%); the jury assigns each applicant a grade of 0 to 20, based on analysis of the letter of motivation and curriculum vitae. If necessary, the members of the jury may decide to conduct an interview with all or some of the applicants. Due consideration is given to: (i) a degree in Law, Economics, Management, Public Policies, Marine Sciences, Political Sciences, Military Sciences, Social Sciences; (ii) for post-Bologna graduates, a degree corresponding to at least 240 ECTS;
– Applicants with a rating lower than 9.5 will automatically be excluded.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS (ONLINE):
– Completion of the application form (online);
– Payment of the application fee using the ATM or PayPal reference provided through the submission procedure (51.00€);
– Online submission of the following documents: motivation letter, curriculum vitae (European model), copy of the course(s) certificate(s); copy of the tax number identification card; copy of the Identification Card;
– Applicants conditioned upon the conclusion of the bachelor’s degree must submit an interim academic transcript showing the subjects already completed with their final grades, and the degree, the institution, expected average and the conclusion date. In addition, a statement from the institution of higher education where they are attending the degree should be submitted, proving their academic situation;
– Applicants with foreign qualifications must send an academic transcript or a declaration with the final average of the degree;
– Applicants who do not report the final grade average, expected or completed will be graded with a minimum score of 10 on the 0-20 scale;
– During the application, candidates must submit a request for accreditation of academic qualifications and professional experience obtained before entering the study cycle. For this purpose, the applicant must complete the appropriate form and attach all relevant documentation. When the request for accreditation occurs at the time of the application, the accreditation is not a sufficient condition to be accepted into the study cycle and only can be granted after the admission into the study cycle, in the same study cycle only.
All documents must be presented in Portuguese, English, French or Spanish, and endorsed by the competent authority of the State where the document originates.
Applications omitting the documents requested or where the application fee has not been paid will be rejected.
Applications available through the NOVA School of Law applications portal.
*Tuition fees are subject to approval of the General Council of NOVA University, Lisbon.
*Consult the full documentation regarding fees, emoluments and taxes for the academic year in question.
Tuition fees are annual and due in full upon enrolment in the course. The payment in instalments is allowed for the students’ mere convenience.
In the case of withdrawal from the course, the amounts already paid are not refundable. The remaining tuition fee payments due for the academic year to which the application relates must also be paid.
Only in situations where the applicant does not complete the degree which he/she is applying with (in these cases, the applicant must submit a declaration from the institution of higher education by September 2021), the amounts paid for the tuition fee will be reimbursed (application fee, school insurance and administrative costs are not reimbursed).
The application fee is to be paid by ATM or PayPal. The reference will be given online upon submission of the application form.
– Students whose final average admission to this Master is equal to or higher than 17 points (on a scale 0-20) benefit from a 50% discount on the total amount of the tuition fee, which cannot be combined with other discounts;
– Students whose final average admission to this Master is equal to or higher than 16 points (on a scale 0-20) benefit from a 30% discount on the total amount of the tuition fee, which cannot be combined with other discounts;
– Three merit scholarships will be granted in the non-curricular semester (in either the master’s or specialization area): one corresponding to the total of the tuition fee, which will be awarded to the best grade in the taught component, and the other two merit scholarships will be granted to the second and third best classifications, which will receive a reduction of 50% of the tuition fee. To assess the best classifications in the taught component, only the classifications obtained in the NOVA School of Law will be taken into account. This scholarship assumes the conclusion of the taught component is within the stipulated time limit.
Students or ex-students (undergraduate, graduate, master’s and doctoral) with a degree already completed at NOVA School of Law benefit from a 10% discount on the tuition fee, in addition to the financial discount.
Students who choose to pay tuition fees in a single initial payment receive a 5% discount on the amount to be paid.
CURRENT PROTOCOL DISCOUNTS: Discount of 25%, which cannot be combined with other discounts, for members of:
– Association of Portuguese Judges and the Trade Union;
– Association of Public Prosecution Service Magistrates.
* Discount on the annual fee, within the degree’s stipulated time limit
* Discounts are applied on the final payment of the tuition fee.
TUITION FEES, EMOLUMENTS/CHARGES AND TAXES
National and International Students.
Annual fee for the taught component: 3,900.00€
|Instalments||Amount €||Payment deadline|
|1st payment||600.00€||From 6 to 12 April 2021|
|2nd payment||366.67€||From 1 to 10 July 2021|
|3rd payment||366.67€||From 1 to 10 September 2021|
|4th payment||366.67€||From 1 to 10 October 2021|
|5th payment||366.67€||From 1 to 10 November 2021|
|6th payment||366.67€||From 1 to 10 January 2022|
|7th payment||366.67€||From 1 to 10 February 2022|
|8th payment||366.67€||From 1 to 10 March 2022|
|9th payment||366.67€||From 1 to 10 April 2022|
|10th payment||366.67€||From 1 to 10 May 2022|
Tuition fees are annual and are due in full upon enrolment in the course.
Students may also choose to pay the annual tuition fee in 4 installments, in which case they should select this option during registration.
Annual fee for the research component: 1,000.00€
|Instalments||Amount €||Payment deadline|
|1st payment||500.00€||From 1 to 10 September 2021|
|2nd payment||500.00€||From 1 to 10 October 2021|
|3rd payment||500.00€||From 1 to 10 November 2021|
|4th payment||500.00€||From 1 to 10 January 2022|
If the student does not deliver the dissertation within the time limit, they can register for another semester, paying the corresponding fee of 500.00€
Emoluments/Charges and Taxes
The charges presented in the table below are currently applicable. The publication of the national table of fees and charges of academic acts and services of public university education and polytechnic higher education is still awaited, and consequently charges may change at any time.
|Designation||Amount €||Payment Deadline|
|Administrative costs per enrolment/registration||35.00€||Upon registration/enrolment|
|Institution Insurance||3.00€||Upon registration/enrolment|
|Registration Certificate||6.00€||At the time of request|
|Conclusion Certificate||50.00€||At the time of request|
|Improvement grade exam||15.00€||At the time of request|
Payments must be made by ATM or PayPal using the references available in the Restricted Area. Failure to make tuition fee payments within the indicated periods may incur an increased charge in the amount to be paid, or the suspension of registration and enrolment, as well as annulment of all acts performed in the academic year to which the non-compliance relates.
“The completion of the Masters gave me a deep and extensive knowledge of the multiple aspects
of Ocean Governance. It offers a coherent and broad academic program, which exceeded my
own expectations. The Masters provides effective answers to the increasingly complex challenges
of Ocean Governance. The scholarship program provides additional motivation for students to work hard and to achieve good results, in line with the standards of the NOVA School of Law.
During the second year of the Masters, I had the opportunity of taking part in an internship at the Directorate-General for Natural Resources and Maritime Services, where I had an active role in drafting of the Portugal’s Marine Spatial Plan. It was a very rewarding experience, both academically and personally, and undoubtedly an added value for my CV. Completing the Master was only the beginning. I am now even more determined to pursue studies in Marine Spatial Planning at NOVA School of Law.”
“When I decided to apply for the Master’s program in Law and the Sea Economy, I had previously completed a Masters and was doing a PhD. However, fortunately, I decided to suspend my PhD to undertake the Master’s program. I took this decision because I understood that the Masters could supplement my knowledge and, above all, that it could open a new path, a new professional challenge, which it eventually did. Ocean Governance is demanding and requires a solid knowledge base in order to meet the present and future challenges. In my case, at present I am an advisor for the Municipality of Cascais on Ocean matters. As for the future, my professional career will always be linked to the Ocean, which naturally will require the reinforcement of the knowledge I gained at NOVA School of Law, in addition to completing my PhD.”