Numbers don't speak for themselves
The Master’s in Law and Financial Markets is a product of an innovative partnership bringing together NOVA Information Management School (NOVA IMS) and NOVA School of Law (NOVA Law).
Consistently ranked by Eduniversal among the top master’s courses in Western Europe, the Master’s in Law and Financial Markets offers students the challenge of an innovative set of courses in law and finance, opportunities to meet and network with leading financial institutions, to gain hands-on experience through an internship in a financial institution and to benefit from an international experience at a top university in Europe or beyond, through NOVA School of Law’s membership of the Themis Network.
This Program aims to deepen law graduate’s mastery of the law, particularly in those fields that have the closest bearing on financial markets and investments, as well as providing an insight into the organization and functioning of the general financial system, and the three main financial markets: banking, insurance and capital markets. The Program offers an opportunity to acquire key financial analysis and evaluation skills of the main financial instruments traded on the capital markets and to identify intervention strategies in capital markets. The Program aims to stimulate a critical and interdisciplinary approach to knowledge, providing lawyers with the necessary tools to solve complex problems or issue judgments on situations of incomplete information.
Candidates with a background in law will be given preference in admission. However, holders of any bachelor’s degree or equivalent are eligible to apply. We are keen to attract talented current or future professionals with an international focus who wish to prepare for a wide range of careers in the highly competitive finance sector.
Opportunity to benefit from the THEMIS NETWORK international experience. Three core elements: a semester abroad, an international internship and the THEMIS seminar
This course is taught after working hours.
Number of Years
Publication of the A3ES decision
DGES registration number
Publication in Diário da República
Law and Financial Markets
R/A -Cr 244/2015/AL02
The curricular componente corresponds to 60 ECTS and consists of 10 mandatory course units (52 ECTS) The remaining 8 ECTS correspond to electives chosen by the students from a wide range of course units.
The course units presented as optional course units are suggestions and may be changed. In the free choice course units that are compulsory for other master’s degrees, enrollment and attendance depends on logistical and pedagogical possibilities.
(the above list does not exhaust all options on offer)
LENGTH 4 SEMESTERS
TAUGHT IN ENGLISH
Applications from students who prove they will be able to complete their bachelor’s degree(licenciatura) by September will be accepted.
Submission of applications: from 1 to 26 February
Announcement of application results: 30 March
Submission of appeal against results: from 30 March to 05 April
Enrolment: from 06 to 12 April
Submission of applications: from 19 April to 14 May
Announcement of application results: 31 May
Submission of appeal against results: from 30 May to 04 June
Enrolment: from 07 to 11 June
*1st phase remaining places, if any
Holders of a bachelor’s degree (licenciatura) or legal equivalent.
– Hold a bachelor’s degree in a compatible field;
– Be proficient in English (spoken and written).
– Completion of the application form (online);
– Payment of the application fee using the ATM or PayPal reference provided through the submission procedure (51.00€);
– Online submission of the following documents: motivation letter, curriculum vitae (European model), copy of the course(s) certificate(s); copy of the tax number identification card; copy of the Identification Card;
– Applicants conditioned upon the conclusion of the bachelor’s degree must submit an interim academic transcript showing the subjects already completed with their final grades, and the degree, the institution, expected average and the conclusion date. In addition, a statement from the institution of higher education where they are attending the degree should be submitted, proving their academic situation;
– Applicants with foreign qualifications must send an academic transcript or a declaration with the final average of the degree;
– Applicants who do not report the final grade average, expected or completed will be graded with a minimum score of 10 on the 0-20 scale;
– During the application, candidates must submit a request for accreditation of academic qualifications and professional experience obtained before entering the study cycle. For this purpose, the applicant must complete the appropriate form and attach all relevant documentation. When the request for accreditation occurs at the time of the application, the accreditation is not a sufficient condition to be accepted into the study cycle and only can be granted after the admission into the study cycle, in the same study cycle only.
All documents must be presented in Portuguese, English, French or Spanish, and endorsed by the competent authority of the State where the document originates.
Applications omitting the documents requested or where the application fee has not been paid will be rejected.
Applications available through the NOVA School of Law applications portal.
– Application fee: 51.00€
– Administrative costs per registration/enrolment (each year): 35.00€
– Institution insurance (each year): 3.00€
– Annual fee for the taught component: 4,200.00€
– Non-taught component (dissertation), 1 year: 2,000.00€
– Extension of the non-taught component: 600.00€
*Tuition fees are subject to approval of the General Council of NOVA University, Lisbon.
*Consult the full documentation regarding fees, emoluments and taxes for the academic year in question.
Tuition fees are annual and due in full upon enrolment in the course. The payment in instalments is allowed for the students’ mere convenience.
In the case of withdrawal from the course, the amounts already paid are not refundable. The remaining tuition fee payments due for the academic year to which the application relates must also be paid.
Only in situations where the applicant does not complete the degree which he/she is applying with (in these cases, the applicant must submit a declaration from the institution of higher education by September 2021), the amounts paid for the tuition fee will be reimbursed (application fee, school insurance and administrative costs are not reimbursed).
The application fee is to be paid by ATM or PayPal. The reference will be given online upon submission of the application form.
– Students whose final average admission to this Master is equal to or higher than 17 points (on a scale 0-20) benefit from a 50% discount on the total amount of the tuition fee, which cannot be combined with other discounts;
– Students whose final average admission to this Master is equal to or higher than 16 points (on a scale 0-20) benefit from a 30% discount on the total amount of the tuition fee, which cannot be combined with other discounts;
– Three merit scholarships will be granted in the non-curricular semester (in either the master’s or specialization area): one corresponding to the total of the tuition fee, which will be awarded to the best grade in the taught component, and the other two merit scholarships will be granted to the second and third best classifications, which will receive a reduction of 50% of the tuition fee. To assess the best classifications in the taught component, only the classifications obtained in the NOVA School of Law will be taken into account. This scholarship assumes the conclusion of the taught component is within the stipulated time limit.
Students or ex-students (undergraduate, graduate, master’s and doctoral) with a degree already completed at NOVA School of Law benefit from a 10% discount on the tuition fee, in addition to the financial discount.
– Students who choose to pay tuition fees in a single initial payment receive a 5% discount on the amount to be paid.
CURRENT PROTOCOL DISCOUNTS: Discount of 25%, which cannot be combined with other discounts, for members of:
– Association of Portuguese Judges and the Trade Union;
– Association of Public Prosecution Service Magistrates.
* Discount on the annual fee is only provided if the degree is completed within the stipulated time limit.
* Discounts are applied on the final payment of the tuition fee.
TUITION FEES, EMOLUMENTS/CHARGES AND TAXES
National and International Students.
Annual fee for the taught component: 4,200.00€
|Instalments||Amount €||Payment deadline|
|1st payment||1 000,00 €||From 6 to 12 April 2021|
|2nd payment||355,56 €||From 1 to 10 July 2021|
|3rd payment||355,56 €||From 1 to 10 September 2021|
|4th payment||355,56 €||From 1 to 10 October 2021|
|5th payment||355,56 €||From 1 to 10 November 2021|
|6th payment||355,56 €||From 1 to 10 January 2022|
|7th payment||355,55 €||From 1 to 10 February 2022|
|8th payment||355,55 €||From 1 to 10 March 2022|
|9th payment||355,55 €||From 1 to 10 April 2022|
|10th payment||355,55 €||From 1 to 10 May 2022|
Tuition fees are annual and are due in full upon enrolment in the course.
Students may also choose to pay the annual tuition fee in 4 installments, in which case they should select this option during registration.
Annual fee for the research component: 2,000.00€
|Instalments||Amount €||Payment deadline|
|1st payment||500,00 €||From 1 to 10 September 2021|
|2nd payment||500,00 €||From 1 to 10 October 2021|
|3rd payment||500,00 €||From 1 to 10 November 2021|
|4th payment||500,00 €||From 1 to 10 January 2022|
Tuition fee for the extension of the research component: 600.00€
Request for extension of the dissertation, internship report or work project delivery deadline, (90 days).
|Instalments||Amount €||Payment deadline|
|Single payment||600.00 €||Before the delivery of the dissertation, internship report or work project|
Emoluments/Charges and Taxes
The charges presented in the table below are currently applicable. The publication of the national table of fees and charges of academic acts and services of public university education and polytechnic higher education is still awaited, and consequently charges may change at any time.
|Designation||Amount €||Payment Deadline|
|Administrative costs per enrolment/registration||35.00€||Upon registration/enrolment|
|Institution Insurance||3.00€||Upon registration/enrolment|
|Registration Certificate||6.00€||At the time of request|
|Conclusion Certificate||50.00€||At the time of request|
|Improvement grade exam||15.00€||At the time of request|
Payments must be made by ATM or PayPal using the references available in the Restricted Area. Failure to make tuition fee payments within the indicated periods may incur an increased charge in the amount to be paid, or the suspension of registration and enrolment, as well as annulment of all acts performed in the academic year to which the non-compliance relates.
“The Program has proven to be a great combination of law, economics and finance, which tested myself intellectually through its outstanding network of international professionals, and by providing an opportunity to enhance competence and expand technical skills. It should be of interest to anyone seeking to invest in education and who requires a profound theoretical base accompanied by comprehensive guidance on current market techniques and demands. The Program establishes a solid career foundation for recent graduates, while those with experience reshape their knowledge and acquire a new perspective on their career path.”
“The Master’s in Law and Financial Markets has been designed to provide a solid foundation not only in financial law, but also in areas such as finance or data analysis, making it a versatile, demanding and attractive master’s degree for recent graduates and for active professionals. Optional course components within the NOVA Law Masters enable each student to choose their own path. Disciplines related to technological innovation contribute perfectly to preparing students in this area of law. It is a progressive master’s degree, offering students the best of future prospects, immediate insertion into the professional world, and with substantive preparation in the most innovative of subjects.”