Numbers don't speak for themselves
The Master’s in Law and Financial Markets is a product of an innovative partnership bringing together NOVA Information Management School (NOVA IMS) and NOVA School of Law (NOVA Law).
Consistently ranked by Eduniversal among the top master’s courses in Western Europe, the Master’s in Law and Financial Markets offers students the challenge of an innovative set of courses in law and finance, opportunities to meet and network with leading financial institutions, to gain hands-on experience through an internship in a financial institution and to benefit from an international experience at a top university in Europe or beyond, through NOVA School of Law’s membership of the Themis Network.
This Program aims to deepen law graduate’s mastery of the law, particularly in those fields that have the closest bearing on financial markets and investments, as well as providing an insight into the organization and functioning of the general financial system, and the three main financial markets: banking, insurance and capital markets. The Program offers an opportunity to acquire key financial analysis and evaluation skills of the main financial instruments traded on the capital markets and to identify intervention strategies in capital markets. The Program aims to stimulate a critical and interdisciplinary approach to knowledge, providing lawyers with the necessary tools to solve complex problems or issue judgments on situations of incomplete information.
Candidates with a background in law will be given preference in admission. However, holders of any bachelor’s degree or equivalent are eligible to apply. We are keen to attract talented current or future professionals with an international focus who wish to prepare for a wide range of careers in the highly competitive finance sector.
Opportunity to benefit from the THEMIS NETWORK international experience. Three core elements: a semester abroad, an international internship and the THEMIS seminar
This course is taught after working hours.
Number of Years
Publication of the A3ES decision
DGES registration number
Publication in Diário da República
Law and Financial Markets
R/A -Cr 244/2015/AL02
As unidades curriculares apresentadas como unidades curriculares opcionais são sugestões, podendo ser alteradas. Nas unidades curriculares de opção livre que sejam obrigatórias para outros mestrados, a inscrição e a frequência depende de possibilidade logística e pedagógica.
Tuition Fee Payment Dates
The tuition fee for this postgraduate program can be paid in full, in two or in six instalments:
– September 25th to 30th, 2020.
Payment in two instalments:
– 1st. September 25th to 30th, 2020 (100% of the tuition fee of the 1st year);
– 2nd. September 25th to 30th, 2021 (100% of the tuition fee of the 2nd year).
Payment in six instalments:
– 1st. September 25th to 30th, 2020 (25% of the tuition fee of the 1st year);
– 2nd. November 25th to 30th, 2020 (25% of the tuition fee of the 1st year);
– 3rd. February 22nd to 28th, 2021 (25% of the tuition fee of the 1st year);
– 4th. April 25th to 30th, 2021 (25% of the tuition fee of the 1st year);
– 5th. September 25th to 30th, 2021 (50% of the tuition fee of the 2nd year);
– 6th. February 22nd to 28th, 2022 (50% of the tuition fee of the 2nd year).
– Students whose final average grade for this Master’s degree course is equal to or greater than 17 (on a scale 17/20) or 8.5 (on a scale 5/10) benefit from a 50% discount on the tuition fee.
– In the non-teaching semester (dissertation) three merit scholarships will be awarded: one corresponding to a total exemption from the payment of the tuition fee, which will be awarded to the best grade of the curricular phase, and another two to the second and third best grades, which will benefit from a 50% reduction of the tuition fee.
– Students who choose to pay the tuition fee in a single payment benefit from a 5% discount on the payable amount;
– Students who choose to pay the tuition fee in two installments benefit from a 2.5% discount on the payable amount.
– Students or Alumni (undergraduate, postgraduate, masters and PhD) of NOVA IMS and NOVA School of Law with a degree already completed in one of these institutions will benefit from a 10% discount on the tuition fee, which can be accumulated with the financial discount.
A discount of 25%, not cumulative with other discounts, for members of the:
– Trade Union Association of Portuguese Judges;
– Trade Union Association of Public Prosecutors.
“The Program has proven to be a great combination of law, economics and finance, which tested myself intellectually through its outstanding network of international professionals, and by providing an opportunity to enhance competence and expand technical skills. It should be of interest to anyone seeking to invest in education and who requires a profound theoretical base accompanied by comprehensive guidance on current market techniques and demands. The Program establishes a solid career foundation for recent graduates, while those with experience reshape their knowledge and acquire a new perspective on their career path.”
“The Master’s in Law and Financial Markets has been designed to provide a solid foundation not only in financial law, but also in areas such as finance or data analysis, making it a versatile, demanding and attractive master’s degree for recent graduates and for active professionals. Optional course components within the NOVA Law Masters enable each student to choose their own path. Disciplines related to technological innovation contribute perfectly to preparing students in this area of law. It is a progressive master’s degree, offering students the best of future prospects, immediate insertion into the professional world, and with substantive preparation in the most innovative of subjects.”