The law of success
The Master’s in Law and Management is a creation of a partnership bringing together Nova School of Business and Economics (Nova SBE) and NOVA School of Law (NOVA Law).
Understanding the economic world in which advocacy and consultancy is located implies the ability to provide information built on rigorous, complete and increasingly interdisciplinary expertise. The course covers four of the five areas of Business Management. Regarding Law, Mergers & Acquisitions and Corporate Governance are the core of the training and three complementary tracks are presented to the student, in order to enable micro specializations and reinforce the global understanding of companies and businesses. Due to the restricted numerus clausus, learning is personalized, based on the most relevant subjects and international best practices and does not abdicate from providing a solid conceptual and methodological formation. Autonomy and hands-on training is encouraged.
The Master in Law and Management targets development of an integrated dialogue of the legal universe with the business context. It ensures the appropriation of the essential concepts and methodologies of management and integrates them into the know-how and the legal-business discourse. It aims to stimulate a critical, innovative, complex and interdisciplinary approach to knowledge, providing the necessary tools to predict corporate problems and to design planning solutions that are able to solve the complex and interdisciplinary issues that arise in the business and corporate environment of today.
Law graduates who, in their professional career, want to combine legal and management areas. Candidates with a background in law will be given preference in admission. However, holders of any bachelor’s degree or equivalent are eligible to apply.
This course is taught during working hours.
Number of Years
Publication of the A3ES decision
DGES registration number
Publication in Diário da República
Law and Management
R/A -Cr 211/2011/AL01
A componente curricular consiste em 60 ECT, dos quais 24 ECTS de disciplinas obrigatórias em Gestão e 12 ECTS em Direito. Os estudantes devem ainda completar 12 ECTS em disciplinas de opção restrita, completando o percurso com 12 ECTS em disciplinas a escolher livremente de entre a oferta nos Mestrados da NOVA School of Law (sujeito a disponibilidade).
DURATION 3 SEMESTERS
TAUGHT IN ENGLISH
Conditional applications are accepted from students who demonstrate they can complete the degree by September.
Applications 2021/2022 academic year
Holders of a graduate degree from the first cycle of studies or legal equivalent.
Candidates will be selected according to the following criteria:
– Final grade of the higher education course with which you apply (50%);
– In view of the multidisciplinary nature of the course, relevance and appropriateness of the previous course for the Master’s degree (50%);
(The jury awards each candidate a classification on a scale of 0 to 20, based on analysis of the letter of motivation and curriculum vitae. The members of the jury may decide to conduct interviews with some or all of the candidates);
Added value is given to: (i) a Law degree, (ii) a post-Bologna degree, corresponding to at least 240 ECTS.
– Candidates evaluated according to these criteria with a rating lower than 9.5 will automatically be excluded.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS (ONLINE):
– Completion of the application form (online);
– Payment of the application fee through the ATM reference provided through the application procedure (51.00€);
– Online submission of the following documents: (i) letter of motivation, (ii) curriculum vitae (European model), (iii) copy of course(s) certificate(s), (iv) proof of identification and tax identification number;
– Applicants conditional upon the conclusion of their undergraduate degree must submit an interim academic transcript showing the subjects already completed with their final grades, and the degree, the institution, expected average and the conclusion date. In addition, a statement from the institution of higher education where they are attending the degree should be submitted, proving their academic situation;
– Applicants with foreign qualifications must send an academic transcript or a declaration with the final average of the degree;
– Applicants who do not report the final grade average, expected or completed will be graded with a minimum score of 10 on a scale of 0-20;
– Applications omitting the documents requested or where the application fee has not been paid will be rejected.
Applications available through the NOVA School of Law applications portal.
– Application fee …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. 51.00€
– Administrative costs per registration/enrolment (each year) …………………………………. 35.00€
– Institution insurance (each year) ………………………………………………………………………………………….. 3.00€
– Annual fee for the taught component ………………………………………………………………………. 4600.00€
(annual amount paid in 8 instalments (1 x 1,450.00€ + 7 x 450.00€)
– Non-curricular phase, one more semester ………………………………………………………………. 1,600.00€
– Extension of the non-curricular phase (90 days) ……………………………………………………… 800.00€
*Tuition fees are subject to approval of the General Council of NOVA University, Lisbon.
*Consult the full documentation regarding fees, emoluments and taxes for the academic year in question.
The application fee is to be paid by ATM or Paypal. The reference will be given online upon submission of the application form.
Tuition fees are annual and due in full upon enrolment in the course. The payment in instalments is allowed for the students’ mere convenience.
In the case of withdrawal from the course, the amounts already paid are not refundable. The remaining tuition fee payments due for the academic year to which the application relates must also be paid.
– Students whose final average admission to this Master is equal to or higher than 17 points (on a scale 0/20) benefit from a 50% discount on the total amount of the tuition fee.
– Students whose final average admission to this Master is equal to or higher than 16 points (on a scale 0/20) benefit from a 30% discount on the total amount of the tuition fee.
– Three merit scholarships will be granted in the non-curricular semester (in either the master’s or specialization area): one corresponding to the total of the tuition fee, which will be awarded to the best grade in the taught component, and the other two merit scholarships will be granted to the second and third best classifications, which will receive a reduction of 50% of the tuition fee. To assess the best classifications in the taught component, only the classifications obtained in the NOVA School of Law will be taken into account. This scholarship assumes the conclusion of the curricular phase is within the stipulated time limit.
Students or ex-students (undergraduate, graduate, master’s and doctoral) with a degree already completed at NOVA School of Law benefit from a 10% discount on the tuition fee, in addition to the financial discount.
– Students who choose to pay tuition fees in a single initial payment (for the entire study cycle) receive a 5% discount on the amount to be paid;
– Students who choose to pay tuition fees in two annual payments receive a 2.5% discount on the amount to be paid.
CURRENT PROTOCOL DISCOUNTS
Discount of 25%, which cannot be combined with other discounts, for members of:
– Association of Portuguese Judges and the Trade Union
– Association of Public Prosecution Service Magistrates.
* Discount on the annual fee is only provided if the degree is completed within the stipulated time limit.
* Discounts are applied on the final payment of the tuition fee.
TUITION FEES, EMOLUMENTS/CHARGES AND TAXES
National and International Students
Annual fee for the taught component: 4,600.00 €
|Instalments||Amount €||Payment deadline|
|1.st payment||1450.00€||Upon registration/enrolment|
|2.nd payment||450.00€||From 1 to 10 September 2020|
|3.rd payment||450.00€||From 1 to 10 October 2020|
|4.th payment||450.00€||From 1 to 10 January 2021|
|5.th payment||450.00€||From 1 to 10 February 2021|
|6.th payment||450.00€||From 1 to 10 March 2021|
|7.th payment||450.00€||From 1 to 10 April 2021|
|8.th payment||450.00€||From 1 to 10 May 2021|
Tuition fees are annual and are due in full upon enrolment in the course.
Fee for the research component: 1,600.00 €
|Instalments||Amount €||Payment deadline|
|1.st payment||800.00€||Upon registration/enrolment|
|2.nd payment||800.00€||From 1 to 10 March 2021|
Tuition fee for the extension of the research component: 600.00 €
Request for extension of the dissertation, internship report or work project delivery deadline, (90 days).
|Instalments||Amount €||Payment deadline|
|Single payment||800.00€||Before the delivery of the dissertation, internship report or work project.|
Students who have already been admitted onto the Master’s Degree continue to pay the amounts published at the time of their application. If the students do not conclude the course in due time, the amounts published in this current notice will be applied.
If the student does not deliver the dissertation within the time limit, they can register for another semester, paying the corresponding fee of 1600,00€.
Emoluments/Charges and Taxes
The charges presented in the table below are currently applicable. The publication of the national table of fees and charges of academic acts and services of public university education and polytechnic higher education is still awaited, and consequently charges may change at any time.
|Designation||Amount €||Payment Deadline|
|Administrative costs per enrolment/registration||35.00€||Upon registration/enrolment|
|School Insurance||3.00€||Upon registration/enrolment|
|Registration Certificate||6.00€||At time of the request|
|Conclusion Certificate||50.00€||At time of the request|
|Improvement grade exam||15.00€||At time of the request|
Payments must be made by ATM or Paypal using the references available at Netpa (student area). Failure to pay tuition fees within the indicated periods may incur an increased charge in the amount to be paid or the suspension of registration and enrolment, as well as the nullity of all acts performed in the academic year to which the non-compliance relates.
“My choice of the Master in Law and Management proved rewarding. The program allowed me not only to improve my training as a lawyer, but also to become acquainted with Business Management. It became instrumental in my choice of a career path: I am a business lawyer operating in the corporate world. I underscore that the program covers Leadership, Strategy, Negotiation, and develops soft skills that I deem crucially important. These, together with the rigor and excellence that are hallmarks of NOVA, became the foundations of my successful career.”
“Economic concepts are of the essence for a business lawyer, who uses them daily in her or his professional activity. The Master in Law and Management is unique in its multidisciplinary approach, leading to a deep understanding of the legal issues faced by corporations in their business dealings. I recommend this master’s program to those who having earned an undergraduate degree now wish to be challenged, value rigorous thinking, enjoy close engagement with lecturers, and value a practical approach to law training.”