The law of success
The Master’s in Law and Management is a creation of a partnership bringing together Nova School of Business and Economics (Nova SBE) and NOVA School of Law (NOVA Law).
Understanding the economic world in which advocacy and consultancy is located implies the ability to provide information built on rigorous, complete and increasingly interdisciplinary expertise. The course covers four of the five areas of Business Management. Regarding Law, Mergers & Acquisitions and Corporate Governance are the core of the training and three complementary tracks are presented to the student, in order to enable micro specializations and reinforce the global understanding of companies and businesses. Due to the restricted numerus clausus, learning is personalized, based on the most relevant subjects and international best practices and does not abdicate from providing a solid conceptual and methodological formation. Autonomy and hands-on training is encouraged.
The Master in Law and Management targets development of an integrated dialogue of the legal universe with the business context. It ensures the appropriation of the essential concepts and methodologies of management and integrates them into the know-how and the legal-business discourse. It aims to stimulate a critical, innovative, complex and interdisciplinary approach to knowledge, providing the necessary tools to predict corporate problems and to design planning solutions that are able to solve the complex and interdisciplinary issues that arise in the business and corporate environment of today.
Law graduates who, in their professional career, want to combine legal and management areas. Candidates with a background in law will be given preference in admission. However, holders of any bachelor’s degree or equivalent are eligible to apply.
This course is taught during working hours.
Number of Years
Publication of the A3ES decision
DGES registration number
Publication in Diário da República
Law and Management
R/A -Cr 211/2011/AL01
The taught component consists of 60 ECTS, of which 24 correspond to compulsory subjects in Management and 12 ECTS in Law. Students must also complete 12 ECTS in subjects of restricted option, completing the course with 12 ECTS in subjects to choose freely from NOVA School of Law’s offer (subject to availability).
LENGTH 3 SEMESTERS
TAUGHT IN ENGLISH
Applications from students who prove they will be able to complete their bachelor’s degree (licenciatura) by September 2020 will be accepted.
Submission of applications: from 1 to 26 February
Announcement of application results: 30 March
Submission of appeal against results: from 30 March to 05 April
Enrolment: from 06 to 12 April
Submission of applications: from 19 April to 14 May
Announcement of application results: 31 May
Submission of appeal against results: from 30 May to 04 June
Enrolment: from 07 to 11 June
*1st phase remaining places, if any
Holders of a bachelor’s degree (licenciatura) or legal equivalent.
Applicants will be selected according to the following parameters:
– Final grade of the degree which the applicant is applying with (50%);
– Relevance and suitability of previous background to the master’s degree course with regard to the pluridisciplinary nature of the course (50%); the jury assigns each applicant a grade of 0 to 20, based on analysis of the letter of motivation and curriculum vitae. If necessary, the members of the jury may decide to conduct an interview with all or some of the applicants. Due consideration is given to: (i) a degree in Law, (ii) for post-Bologna graduates, a degree corresponding to at least 240 ECTS;
– Applicants with a rating lower than 9.5 will automatically be excluded.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS (ONLINE):
– Completion of the application form (online);
– Payment of the application fee using the ATM or Paypal reference provided through the submission procedure (51.00€);
– Online submission of the following documents: motivation letter, curriculum vitae (European model), copy of the course(s) certificate(s); copy of the tax number identification card; copy of the Identification Card;
– Applicants conditioned upon the conclusion of the bachelor’s degree must submit an interim academic transcript showing the subjects already completed with their final grades, and the degree, the institution, expected average and the conclusion date. In addition, a statement from the institution of higher education where they are attending the degree should be submitted, proving their academic situation;
– Applicants with foreign qualifications must send an academic transcript or a declaration with the final average of the degree;
– Applicants who do not report the final grade average, expected or completed will be graded with a minimum score of 10 on the 0-20 scale.
During the application, candidates must submit a request for accreditation of academic qualifications and professional experience obtained before entering the study cycle. For this purpose, the applicant must complete the appropriate form and attach all relevant documentation. When the request for accreditation occurs at the time of the application, the accreditation is not a sufficient condition to be accepted into the study cycle and only can be granted after the admission into the study cycle, in the same study cycle only.
All documents must be presented in Portuguese, English, French or Spanish, and endorsed by the competent authority of the State where the document originates.
Applications omitting the documents requested or where the application fee has not been paid will be rejected.
Applications on the NOVA School of Law applications portal.
– Application fee: 51.00€
– Administrative costs per registration/enrolment (each year): 35.00€
– Institution insurance (each year): 3.00€
– Annual fee for the taught component: 4,600.00€
– Non-curricular phase (dissertation), one semester: 1,600.00€
– Extension of the non-curricular phase (90 days): 800.00€
*Tuition fees are subject to approval of the General Council of NOVA University, Lisbon.
*Consult the full documentation regarding fees, emoluments and taxes for the academic year in question.
Tuition fees are annual and due in full upon enrolment in the course. The payment in instalments is allowed for the students’ mere convenience.
In the case of withdrawal from the course, the amounts already paid are not refundable. The remaining tuition fee payments due for the academic year to which the application relates must also be paid.
Only in situations where the applicant does not complete the degree which he/she is applying with (in these cases, the applicant must submit a declaration from the institution of higher education by September 2021), the amounts paid for the tuition fee will be reimbursed (application fee, school insurance and administrative costs are not reimbursed).
The application fee is to be paid by ATM or Paypal. The reference will be given online upon submission of the application form.
– Students whose final average admission to this Master is equal to or higher than 17 points (on a scale 0/20) benefit from a 50% discount on the total amount of the tuition fee, which cannot be combined with other discounts;
– Students whose final average admission to this Master is equal to or higher than 16 points (on a scale 0/20) benefit from a 30% discount on the total amount of the tuition fee, which cannot be combined with other discounts;
– Three merit scholarships will be granted in the non-curricular semester (in either the master’s or specialization area): one corresponding to the total of the tuition fee, which will be awarded to the best grade in the taught component, and the other two merit scholarships will be granted to the second and third best classifications, which will receive a reduction of 50% of the tuition fee. To assess the best classifications in the taught component, only the classifications obtained in the NOVA School of Law will be taken into account. This scholarship assumes the conclusion of the curricular phase is within the stipulated time limit.
Students or ex-students (undergraduate, graduate, master’s and doctoral) with a degree already completed at NOVA School of Law benefit from a 10% discount on the tuition fee, in addition to the financial discount.
– Students who choose to pay tuition fees in a single initial payment receive a 5% discount on the amount to be paid;
CURRENT PROTOCOL DISCOUNTS
Discount of 25%, which cannot be combined with other discounts, for members of:
– Association of Portuguese Judges and the Trade Union;
– Association of Public Prosecution Service Magistrates.
* Discount on the annual fee is only provided if the degree is completed within the stipulated time limit.
* Discounts are applied on the final payment of the tuition fee.
TUITION FEES, EMOLUMENTS/CHARGES AND TAXES
National and International Students.
Annual fee for the taught component: 4,600.00 €
|Instalments||Amount €||Payment deadline|
|1.st payment||1,000.00 €||From 6 to 12 April 2021|
|2.nd payment||400.00 €||From 1 to 10 July 2021|
|3.rd payment||400.00 €||From 1 to 10 September 2021|
|4.th payment||400.00 €||From 1 to 10 October 2021|
|5.th payment||400.00 €||From 1 to 10 November 2021|
|6.th payment||400.00 €||From 1 to 10 January 2022|
|7.th payment||400.00 €||From 1 to 10 February 2022|
|8.th payment||400.00 €||From 1 to 10 March 2022|
|9.th payment||400.00 €||From 1 to 10 April 2022|
|10.th payment||400.00 €||From 1 to 10 May 2022|
Tuition fees are annual and are due in full upon enrolment in the course.
Students may also choose to pay the annual tuition fee in 4 installments, in which case they should select this option during registration.
Fee for the research component: 1,600.00 €
|Instalments||Amount €||Payment deadline|
|1st payment||400,00 €||From 1 to 10 September 2021|
|2nd payment||400,00 €||From 1 to 10 October 2021|
|3rd payment||400,00 €||From 1 to 10 November 2021|
|4th payment||400,00 €||From 1 to 10 January 2022|
Tuition fee for the extension of the research component: 800.00 €
Request for extension of the dissertation, internship report or work project delivery deadline, (90 days).
|Instalments||Amount €||Payment deadline|
|Single payment||600.00 €||Before the delivery of the dissertation, internship report or work project|
Emoluments/Charges and Taxes
The charges presented in the table below are currently applicable. The publication of the national table of fees and charges of academic acts and services of public university education and polytechnic higher education is still awaited, and consequently charges may change at any time.
|Designation||Amount €||Payment Deadline|
|Administrative costs per enrolment/registration||35.00 €||Upon registration/enrolment|
|School Insurance||3.00 €||Upon registration/enrolment|
|Registration Certificate||6.00 €||At time of the request|
|Conclusion Certificate||50.00 €||At time of the request|
|Improvement grade exam||15.00 €||At time of the request|
Payments must be made by ATM or Paypal using the references available in the Restricted Area. Failure to make tuition fees payment within the indicated periods may incur an increased charge in the amount to be paid or the suspension of registration and enrolment, as well as the annulment of all acts performed in the academic year to which the non-compliance relates.
“My choice of the Master in Law and Management proved rewarding. The program allowed me not only to improve my training as a lawyer, but also to become acquainted with Business Management. It became instrumental in my choice of a career path: I am a business lawyer operating in the corporate world. I underscore that the program covers Leadership, Strategy, Negotiation, and develops soft skills that I deem crucially important. These, together with the rigor and excellence that are hallmarks of NOVA, became the foundations of my successful career.”
“Economic concepts are of the essence for a business lawyer, who uses them daily in her or his professional activity. The Master in Law and Management is unique in its multidisciplinary approach, leading to a deep understanding of the legal issues faced by corporations in their business dealings. I recommend this master’s program to those who having earned an undergraduate degree now wish to be challenged, value rigorous thinking, enjoy close engagement with lecturers, and value a practical approach to law training.”