Connecting the dots
The Master’s in International and European Law offers students the opportunity to expand their legal knowledge in an area that is becoming increasingly essential considering world globalization, in which national boundaries are losing importance.
Operating within an increasingly transnational and globalized world requires legal knowledge that today is less focused on classical issues of public international law, and more on areas that focus on issues related to the internationalization of businesses and private/public transnational legal relationships, as well as human rights, humanitarian law and new developments in international criminal law. European integration is part of the new geopolitical environment. This explains the focus of the master’s on several areas of European Union law such as the freedom of movement of people and the European jurisdictional system. It is crucial for a lawyer to be familiar with the diverse and increasingly vast areas of International Law and European Union Law in order to successfully address the theoretical and practical challenges they face.
Building on the knowledge acquired in the bachelor’s degree in the fields of International Law, this Master in Law develops the interdisciplinary nature of both International and European Law, namely in the area of the protection of human rights. It addresses the development of skills in scientific research, and prepares students for their professional life.
Graduates in Law or in other social sciences who wish to deepen their knowledge.
Length 4 SEMESTERS
Candidates will be distributed by the various areas of specialization (Public Law, International and European Law, Law and Technology, Social and Innovation Law).
Applications from students who prove they will be able to complete their bachelor’s degree
(licenciatura) by September 2020 will be accepted.
• Submission of applications …………………………………………. from 16 March to 30 April;
• Announcement of application results ………………………………………………………..22 April;
• Submission of appeal against results ………………………………………. from 22 to 30 April;
• Enrolment ……………………………………………………………………………. from 5 to 12 June;
Holders of a bachelor’s degree (licenciatura) or legal equivalent.
Applicants will be selected on the following parameters:
• Final grade of the degree which the applicant is applying with (50%);
• Relevance and suitability of previous background to the master’s degree course with regard to the pluridisciplinary nature of the course (50%); the jury assigns each applicant a grade of 0 to 20, based on analysis of the letter of motivation and curriculum vitae. If necessary, the members of the jury may decide to conduct an interview with all or some of the applicants.
• Applicants with a rating lower than 9.5 will automatically be excluded.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS (ONLINE):
• Completion of the application form (online);
• Payment of the application fee using the ATM or Paypal reference provided through the
submission procedure (51.00€);
• Online submission of the following documents: motivation letter, curriculum vitae (European model), copy of the course(s) certificate(s); copy of the tax number identification card; copy of the Identification Card;
• Applicants conditioned upon the conclusion of the bachelor’s degree must submit an interim academic transcript showing the subjects already completed with their final grades, and the degree, the institution, expected average and the conclusion date. In addition, a statement from the institution of higher education where they are attending the degree should be submitted, proving their academic situation;
• Applicants with foreign qualifications must send an academic transcript or a declaration with the final average of the degree;
• Candidates who do not report the final grade average, expected or completed, will be graded with a minimum score of 10 on the 0-20 scale.
Applications omitting the documents requested or where the application fee has not been paid will be dismissed.
Applications available from March 16th to April 30th in NOVA School of Law applications portal.
(annual amount paid in 4 instalments)
*Tuition fees are subject to approval of the General Council of NOVA University, Lisbon.
*Consult the full documentation regarding fees, emoluments and taxes for the academic year in question.
The application fee is to be paid by ATM or Paypal. The reference will be given online upon submission of the application form.
Tuition fees are annual and due in full upon enrolment in the course. The payment in instalments is allowed for the students’ mere convenience.
In the case of withdrawal from the course, the amounts already paid are not refundable. The remaining tuition fee payments due for the academic year to which the application relates must also be paid.
Students or ex-students (undergraduate, graduate, master’s and doctoral) with a degree already completed at FDUNL benefit from a 10% discount on the tuition fee, in addition to the financial discount.
CURRENT PROTOCOL DISCOUNTS:
Discount of 25%, which cannot be combined with other discounts, for members of:
* Discount on the annual fee is only provided if the degree is completed within the stipulated time limit.
* Discounts are applied on the final payment of the tuition fee.
TUITION FEES, EMOLUMENTS/CHARGES AND TAXES
National and International Students
Annual fee of the curricular phase: 4200,00 €
|Instalments||Amount €||Payment deadline|
|1.st payment||1260,00€||Upon registration/enrolment|
|2.nd payment||420,00€||From 1 to 10 September 2020|
|3.rd payment||420,00€||From 1 to 10 October 2020|
|4.th payment||420,00€||From 1 to 10 January 2021|
|5.th payment||420,00€||From 1 to 10 February 2021|
|6.th payment||420,00€||From 1 to 10 March 2021|
|7.th payment||420,00€||From 1 to 10 April 2021|
|8.th payment||420,00€||From 1 to 10 May 2021|
Tuition fees are annual and are due in full upon enrolment in the course.
Annual fee of the non-curricular phase: 2000,00 €
|Instalments||Amount €||Payment deadline|
|1.st payment||500,00€||Upon registration/enrolment|
|2.nd payment||500,00€||From 1 to 10 January 2021|
|3.rd payment||500,00€||From 1 to 10 March 2021|
|4.th payment||500,00€||From 1 to 10 May 2021|
Tuition fee of the extension of the non-curricular phase: 600,00 €
Request for extension of the dissertation, internship report or work project delivery deadline, (90 days).
|Single parcel||600,00€||Before the delivery of the dissertation, internship report or work project.|
Students who have been admitted in previous editions of the Master’s Degree continue to pay the amounts announced at the time of their application. . If the students do not conclude the course in due time, the amounts published in this current notice will be applied.
If the student does not deliver the dissertation within the regular time, he/ she can register for another year, paying the corresponding amount of 2000.00€.
Emoluments/Charges and Taxes
The presented table is the one currently in use. The publication of the national table of fees and charges of academic acts and services of public university education and polytechnic higher education is still awaited, so it may change at any time.
|Designation||Amount €||Payment Deadline|
|Administrative costs per enrolment/registration||35,00€||Upon registration/enrolment|
|School Insurance||3,00€||Upon registration/enrolment|
|Registration Certificate||6,00€||At time of the request|
|Conclusion Certificate||50,00€||At time of the request|
|Improvement grade exam||15,00€||At time of the request|
Payments must be made at ATM or PayPal using the references available at Netpa (student area). Failure on tuition fees payment within the indicated periods may imply an increase charge in the amount to be paid or the suspension of registration and enrolment, as well as the nullity of all acts performed in the academic year to which the non-compliance relates.
“This Master’s is ideal for anyone who wants to have a career with an international focus. The student has the opportunity to choose their curriculum path according to their own professional ambitions.
As a student of this Master’s, I had the once-in-a- -lifetime opportunity to visit the European Court of Justice and to see a judgment taking place. Recently, I was recruited by Altice Portugal, and am working with European Data Protection Law, and currently doing my Master‘s thesis in this field.
I strongly recommend this Master’s for those of you who, like me, have a thirst for knowledge which goes beyond national borders and who wants to be a jurist of XXI century.”
“The Master’s in International and European Law with NOVA School of Law distinguishes itself
for its approach to contemporary topics while contemplating the future, thus enabling its students to choose the topics that interest them from a wide array of curricular options. Due to the various protocols signed with the Faculty, in this Master’s I had the chance to do my second semester at the University of Ljubljana, and obtain professional experience through a curricular internship in Brussels. As I was looking for a master’s that steered away from the traditional path of advocacy, and which would prepare me for a career in an international setting, this was the obvious choice for me!”