FAQs Mobility – University of Macau

Who can apply for a Study Mobility Programme?

  • Students who are enrolled at NOVA School of Law in a higher education programme leading to a degree, in the academic year in which they apply and in the school year in which they undertake the mobility;
  • 1st cycle students who have completed or obtained equivalence with a minimum of 60 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) credits;
  • Not open to applicants simultaneously enrolled in another national or international mobility programme.

What is the application period?

Last half of February.

How can I apply to a Mobility Programme?

  • Application to a mobility programme relevant to the following academic year is done online by filling in an application form, here: netpa > login > out;
  • Students must indicate in order of preference four Universities of choice.

What are the selection criteria for applications?

  • Accepted applications are ranked according to the highest average of all the curricular units already completed by the student in the course of study in which they are enrolled, weighted according to ECTS credits and rounded up to the nearest hundredth;
  • In the event of a tie, preference is given to the application with the highest number of ECTS credits and course units already completed;
  • Students are placed in existing vacancies in the universities to which they have applied according to the preferential order of options included in their application.

What is the deadline for reporting my withdrawal?

Withdrawals must be reported immediately to the Mobility Office and if applicable, to the host university (if you have already been appointed).

Do all students in the Mobility Programme receive a grant?

Scholarships are not available to students who are on mobility at the University of Macau.

Do I have to pay tuition fees at the host university?

Participating in the programme with the University of Macau means that you have been selected for mobility and will benefit from the existing agreement between the Universities, and therefore you do not pay tuition fees at the University of Macau.

Do I have to pay tuition fees at NOVA School of Law?

Yes, fees are due regularly. Students on the mobility programme must maintain their regular financial status at NOVA School of Law.

Do I have to register with NOVA School of Law in the semester/year that I am going to participate in the period of the mobility programme?

Students must be duly enrolled at NOVA School of Law in the curricular units of the cycle they are attending in the academic year in which they apply and in the academic year in which they are undertaking the mobility period.

After the appointment and acceptance by the host university, what documents do I need to present to formalise my application?

  • Learning Agreement
  • Academic Transcript
  • Curriculum Vitae
  • Personal Statement
  • Recommendation Letter from home university

What is the Learning Agreement / Study Contract?

The Learning Agreement/Study Contract is the document that you must deliver to the Mobility Office before you leave, which contains the curricular units that you will be doing abroad. The student, the host university and the university of origin must sign the document.

I intend to make changes to the initial Learning Agreement. How should I proceed?

Any alteration to the initial study plan should be reported to the Mobility Office by completing and submitting the Alteration to the Initial Study Contract, which will be forwarded to the Programme Coordinator for approval of the proposed amendments.

How many ECTS credits do I have to enrol for?

A minimum of 20, 30 or 60 ECTS credits, depending on whether you have a mobility period of three months, a semester or an academic year respectively.

Can I apply for curricular units that are not included in my curricular plan?

Yes, since these curricular units and the corresponding ECTS credits will be counted as free electives.

Is it possible to extend my Mobility period?

Yes, provided that the Programme Coordinators (of the University of Macau and NOVA School of Law) agree with the request for extension. This request must be made up to 30 days before the end of the mobility period initially foreseen by filling in this form.

Request for Modification of the Mobility Period (nota link errado)

How is the recognition of credits, equivalences and grading carried out?

  • The recognition of credits and grading is carried out by a committee for the appreciation of requests for recognition of courses completed under the mobility programmes, composed by the Program Coordinator and two members appointed by the Scientific Council of NOVA School of Law.
  • The curricular units successfully completed by the student at the host university may be recognized (credits and grades) as long as they appear on their Learning Agreement and in the Transcript of Records.
  • Curricular units attended at the host university to which mandatory or restricted subjects at NOVA School of Law correspond can be awarded equivalence provided the curricular unit has the same purpose regardless of the country.
  • Optional choice subjects listed in Table 9 of the first cycle regulations can be freely replaced by subjects offered at the host university.
  • ECTS credits awarded by the host university are granted to the curricular units undertaken at the host university except in the case of equivalence to mandatory subjects and restricted option subjects, which can only be recognized if they fulfil the number of ECTS provided for at NOVA School of Law, with any excess being given as a free option curricular unit.
  • The grades obtained in the University of Macau are taken into account in the calculation of the average of the course at NOVA School of Law, in accordance with the applicable legal conversion rules.
  • Curricular units undertaken in mobility with a syllabus similar to those the student has completed at NOVA School of Law cannot be recognized.

Who is responsible for dealing with accommodation issues?

Accommodation is the responsibility of each student, not of the host university nor the home university.

Accommodation solutions may be available for foreign students, and in such cases, the host university itself will inform the student of this possibility.

When I return to NOVA School of Law, do I have to submit any documents?

At the end of the mobility, all participants must provide proof of their mobility as well as its successful completion by means of the Declaration of Stay, Transcript of Records (the student must request this from the host University, in order to prove the start and finish of the mobility) and the Academic Record certificate.