Book Launch «Queer and Religious Alliances in Family Law Politics and Beyond»
Nausica Palazzo & Jeffrey A. Redding
On July 12th, NOVA School of Law will host the launch of a Book co-edited by Professor Nausica Palazzo, which explores counterintuitive ways of addressing the problem of the legal invisibility of non-traditional families.
It does so by staging an uncomfortable yet necessary conversation concerning a potentially conjoined queer–religious politics challenging ‘common-sense’ (often majoritarian) norms and practices in family law.
July 12th, 2022
4:00 – 5:50 pm WEST (5:00 – 6:50 CEST)
The Book Launch will also be accessible virtually, through the link below:
Meeting ID: 846 0563 7206
Introductory remarks | 4:00 – 4:05 pm
- Mariana França Gouveia, Dean NOVA School of Law
Presentation of the edited collection | 4:05 – 4:20 pm
- Jeffrey A. Redding, University of Melbourne
- Nausica Palazzo, NOVA University Lisbon
Presentation of Chapters | 4:20 – 5:05 pm
- Robin Fretwell Wilson, University of Illinois: «Disentangling Marriage and the State»
- Noy Naaman, University of Toronto and Ayelet Blecher-Prigat, Academic College of Law and Science: «Abolishing Legal Marriage in Israel as a Queer–Religious Project?»
- Laura Kessler, Utah University : «Achieving Equality without a Constitution»
Discussants | 5:05 – 5:30 pm
- Adrienne Davis, Washington University in St. Louis
- Ruth Halperin-Kaddari, Bar-Ilan University
Q&A | 5:30 – 5:50 pm
Moderator: André Cristóvão Moradas Ferreira, NOVA University Lisbon
Organizing Committee: Nausica Palazzo, Luísa Ferreira e Constança Moita Oliveira Mota.