Laura Íñigo Álvarez is a postdoctoral researcher in International Law at the Nova School of Law and at CEDIS (Research Center on Law and Society). She holds a Bachelor’s degree in Law and a Master’s degree in Public Law from the University of Seville, where she graduated cum laude and received an Award with Special Distinction. She earned her PhD in Law at Utrecht University in 2019. Her PhD thesis ‘Towards a Regime of Responsibility of Armed Groups in International Law’ was published by Intersentia in July 2020. At Nova School of Law, Laura carries out a research project focused on business and human rights, in particular, on non-judicial remedies for business-related human rights abuses. She is also a lecturer of the Master in Law and Security and member of its Scientific Commission.
Previously, she was a researcher of the EU Project FRAME ‘Fostering Human Rights among European (internal and external) Policies’ coordinated by KU Leuven and funded by the European Commission, where she contributed as co-author of three reports on the Common Security and Defense Policy of the European Union. In addition, she has been a member of the working group of several research projects on business and human rights funded by the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness in Spain.
Laura has been a speaker at several international conferences, including those organised by the European Society of International Law (ESIL) and the Association of Human Rights Institutes (AHRI). She is also a regular contributor to Oxford Reports on International Law in Domestic Courts, a member of the International Observatory on Human Rights and Business (University of Seville) and the Spanish Bar Association. Her main research interests are international human rights law, international humanitarian law and armed non-state actors, international criminal law, and business and human rights.
Bachelor’s degree (1st Cycle):
- Public International Law
Master’s degree (2nd Cycle):
- European Security Law
- National Defense and Military Law
- Research and Crime
- Laura Íñigo Álvarez, Towards a Regime of Responsibility of Armed Groups in International Law, Human Rights Research Series Volume 90 (Intersentia 2020) ISBN 9781839700040 https://intersentia.be/nl/towards-a-regime-of-responsibility-of-armed-groups-in-international-law.html
- Laura Íñigo Álvarez, “The Obligation to Provide Reparations by Armed Groups: A Norm under Customary International Law?”, Netherlands International Law Review, Issue 3, 20 October 2020, available at https://doi.org/10.1007/s40802-020-00176-1
- Juan Bautista Cartes Rodríguez & Laura Íñigo Álvarez “The case law of the African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights in Libya following the Arab uprisings: Lessons learned for the consolidation and legitimation of the Court” (2020) 20 African Human Rights Law Journal 78-102, available at http://www.ahrlj.up.ac.za/cartes-rodriguez-j-b-inigo-alvarez-l
- Laura Íñigo Álvarez, “La responsabilidad internacional de los grupos armados: ¿responsabilidad individual o colectiva?” (2018) Anuario Mexicano de Derecho Internacional XVIII, 481-514, available at https://revistas.juridicas.unam.mx/index.php/derecho-internacional/article/view/12108
- Laura Íñigo Álvarez, “Challenging the Westphalian order: incorporating armed groups into law making under International Humanitarian Law”, Ordine Internazionale e Diritti Umani 2/2017, 15 May 2017, 167–189, available at http://www.rivistaoidu.net/maggio2017
- Laura Íñigo Álvarez, “Los grupos armados ante el Derecho Internacional contemporáneo. Obligaciones y responsabilidad”, Revista Electrónica de Estudios Internacionales, Nº 31, June 2016, available at http://www.reei.org/index.php/revista/num31/notas/grupos-armados-ante-derecho-internacional-contemporaneo-obligaciones-responsabilidad
- Laura Íñigo Álvarez, “La imprescriptibilidad de los crímenes de lesa humanidad a la luz de la jurisprudencia de los tribunales de Chile, Argentina y España” in Pilar Martín Ríos and Mª Ángeles Pérez Marín (dir.) I Congreso Internacional La Administración de Justicia en España y en América. Congreso Homenaje al Profesor José Martín Ostos (Astigi 2020) 282-294, ISBN 978-84-122303-5-2.
- Laura Íñigo Álvarez “Organizaciones criminales y conflictos armados” in Libia Arenal Lora (dir.) Estudios Contemporáneos sobre Geopolítica, Conflictos Armados y Cooperación Internacional (Universidad Internacional de Andalucía 2020) ISBN 978-84-7993-360-9.
- Laura Íñigo Álvarez “Organizaciones terroristas” in Libia Arenal Lora (dir.) Estudios Contemporáneos sobre Geopolítica, Conflictos Armados y Cooperación Internacional (Universidad Internacional de Andalucía 2020) ISBN 978-84-7993-360-9.
- Carmen Márquez Carrasco, Rocío Alamillos Sánchez, Laura García Martín and Laura Íñigo Alvarez, “Mission Impossible? The protection of human rights in EU CSDP operations: an assessment of coherence and efficiency”, in European Yearbook of Human Rights 2017, 251-266, ISBN 978-3-7083-1166-1.
- Laura García Martín and Laura Íñigo Álvarez, “La explotación ilegal de especies de fauna y flora silvestres como amenaza a la paz y seguridad internacionales” in Pablo Antonio Fernández Sánchez and José Alberto Azaredo Lópes (dir.) Seguridad medioambiental y orden internacional (Atelier, 2015) 151-164, ISBN 978-84-1569-075-7.
- Carmen Márquez Carrasco, Rocío Alamillos and Laura Íñigo Álvarez, Policy recommendations on coherence and efficiency of the EU external policy, EU FP7 Research Project, Work Package No. 10 – Deliverable 10.4, European Commision, 30 September 2016, available at http://www.fp7-frame.eu/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Deliverable-10.4.pdf
- Carmen Márquez Carrasco, Joana Abrisketa, Elizabeth Salmón, María Nagore, Chiara Marinelli, Rita Zafra, Rocío Alamillos, Laura García, and Laura Íñigo Álvarez, Applicable regulatory frameworks regarding human rights violations in conflicts, EU FP7 Research Project, Work Package No. 10 – Deliverable No. 10.2, European Commission, 30 September 2015, available at http://www.fp7-frame.eu/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Deliverable-10.2.pdf
- Carmen Márquez Carrasco, Laura Íñigo Álvarez, Nora Loozen and Elisabeth Salmón Garate, Human rights violations in conflict settings, EU FP7 research project, Work Package No. 10 – Deliverable No. 10.1, European Commission, 30 September 2014, available at http://www.fp7-frame.eu/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/08-Deliverable-10.1.pdf
- Laura Íñigo Álvarez, Argentina v Central Criminal Court No 5, Order, AAN 1907/2018, ILDC 2948 (ES 2018), 22nd October 2018, Spain; National Court, Oxford Reports on International Law, Oxford University Press, November 2019.
- Laura Íñigo Álvarez, Government of the Canary Islands v Parliament of Spain and Government of Spain (intervening), Action of unconstitutionality, STC 85/2016, ILDC 2688 (ES 2016), 28th April 2016, Spain, Oxford Reports on International Law, Oxford University Press, October 2018.
- Laura Íñigo Álvarez, ASEEL case, Prosecutor v Central Criminal Court No 5, Appeal decision, ILDC 2678 (ES 2014), Order No 41/2014, AAN 225/2014, 4th July 2014, Spain; National Court; Criminal Chamber, Oxford Reports on International Law, Oxford University Press, July 2018.
- A 2021 legal brief (in Portuguese, English and Spanish) on Human Rights and environmental due diligence prepared for the Instituto Marquês de Valle Flôr (IMVF) as part of the Pan-European campaign OurFood.OurFuture implemented in Portugal by IMVF.
- International Human Rights Law
- International Humanitarian Law
- International Criminal Law
- Business and Human Rights