Margarida Lima Rego is Associate Professor and Vice Dean of NOVA School of Law, where she has regularly been teaching since 2005. She is the coordinator of the Master’s Degree in Law and Financial Markets – a partnership between NOVA School of Law and NOVA Information Management School, whose 1st edition opened in September 2015. She has been coordinating the PhD in Law (FCT PhD Program) of the NOVA School of Law since March 1, 2013, and coordinating the new English SPEED (Permanent Research Seminar on the State and the Study of Law) since November 2015.
As an academic, she has coordinated a number of disciplines and published on a wide range of private law topics, with special focus on Contract Law. She is the coordinator of the Master’s Degree in Law and Financial Markets, and vice-coordinator of the PhD Programme in Law, of NOVA School of Law, which she represents. Currently, she is responsible for the subjects of Law of Obligations (bachelor’s degree), Insurance Law (master’s degree) and Scientific Publication (doctorate).
Her main areas of practice are civil and commercial law. She was Of Counsel at Morais Leitão, where she coordinated the transversal group of insurance, reinsurance and pension funds, having left the firm in July 2019 to dedicate herself fully to her academic career. As a lawyer, she regularly advised national and international clients from the public and private sectors in the design and implementation of various commercial operations and in the composition and negotiation of various contracts, with special focus on the insurance sector. As a legal consultant, she is regularly consulted on various matters of Portuguese and Lusophone law, having contributed to the resolution of disputes before the courts of various jurisdictions.
Margarida Lima Rego was a member of the Portuguese Lawyers Association between 2002 and 2019. She is the President of AIDA Portugal and a member of the Executive Committee of AIDA Europe and the Presidential Council of AIDA World. She is President of the Portuguese section of the Law and Commercial Practice Committee of the International Chamber of Commerce.
Bachelor’s degree (1st Cycle):
- Law of Obligations
- Introduction to Law and Legal Thought
- Process Theory
- People and Family Law
- Executive Civil Procedural Law
- Comparative Legal Systems
Master’s degree (2nd Cycle):
- Insurance Law
- Banking and Insurance Law
- Markets and Financial Operations
- Oral Advocacy
PhD (3rd Cycle):
- Scientific Publication
- Contrato de seguro e terceiros. Estudo de direito civil, Coimbra 2010 (tese de doutoramento)
- No right to perform a contract? Almedina 2006 (tese de mestrado)
- Temas de direito dos seguros, Almedina 2012, 2.ª edição Almedina 2016 (coordenação e coautoria)
- Regulación del contrato de seguro en Portugal y España: análisis comparado, Fundación INADE 2018, em português 2019 (coautoria)
- Autora de diversos capítulos de livros e artigos publicados em revistas científicas de circulação internacional sobre uma vasta gama de temas de direito civil e comercial.
- Civil and Commercial Contracts
- General Contract Theory
- Insurance Law
- Technological Innovation in Financial Markets and its impact on general Contract Law
- The use of scientific evidence as a basis for judicial or legal decisions in general
- Human or Fundamental Rights and their impact on Contract Law issues
- Gender Equality