Master's in Law and Financial Markets
Numbers don’t speak for themselves
The Master’s in Law and Financial Markets is a product of an innovative partnership bringing together NOVA Information Management School (NOVA IMS) and NOVA School of Law (NOVA Law).
Consistently ranked by Eduniversal among the top master’s courses in Western Europe and lectured in English, the Master’s in Law and Financial Markets offers students the challenge of an innovative set of courses in law and finance, opportunities to meet and network with leading financial institutions, to gain hands-on experience through an internship in a financial institution and to benefit from an international experience at a top university in Europe or beyond, through NOVA School of Law’s membership of the Themis Network.
This master’s is taught in English.
President: Pedro Simões Coelho (IMS) | Board Members: Margarida Lima Rego (non-taught component) | Fernando Bação (taught component IMS) | Joana Farrajota (taught component NOVA School of Law)
This Program aims to deepen law graduate’s mastery of the law, particularly in those fields that have the closest bearing on financial markets and investments, as well as providing an insight into the organization and functioning of the general financial system, and the three main financial markets: banking, insurance and capital markets. The Program offers an opportunity to acquire key financial analysis and evaluation skills of the main financial instruments traded on the capital markets and to identify intervention strategies in capital markets. The Program aims to stimulate a critical and interdisciplinary approach to knowledge, providing lawyers with the necessary tools to solve complex problems or issue judgments on situations of incomplete information.
Candidates with a background in law will be given preference in admission. However, holders of any bachelor’s degree or equivalent are eligible to apply. We are keen to attract talented current or future professionals with an international focus who wish to prepare for a wide range of careers in the highly competitive finance sector.
Opportunity to benefit from the THEMIS NETWORK international experience. Three core elements: a semester abroad, an international internship and the THEMIS seminar.
This course is taught after working hours*.
*Some Optional Curricular Units may have schedules that do not match the timetable of the course
|Study Cycle||Degree||A3ES Decision||Number of Years||Publication of the A3ES decision||DGES registration number||Publication in Diário da República|
Law and Financial Markets
R/A -Cr 244/2015/AL02
The curricular componente corresponds to 60 ECTS and consists of 10 mandatory course units (52 ECTS) The remaining 8 ECTS correspond to electives that may be chosen from any Master course taught at NOVA School of Law (subject to availability).
Completion of the taught part (60 ECTS) grants the the award of a Diploma in Postgraduate Studies in Law and Financial Markets.
1st year – Taught Component
|Financial Instruments Law||4|
|Regulation and Supervision of Financial Markets||4|
|Financial Markets and Investments||6|
|Principles of Corporate Finance||6|
|Risk Management in Financial Contracts||4|
|Introduction to Data Analysis||6|
|Banking and Insurance Operations||6|
|Introduction to Financial Derivatives and Risk Management||6|
|Optional Curricular Unit*||8|
*Optional Curricular Units
The course units presented as optional course units are suggestions and may be changed. In the free choice course units that are compulsory for other master’s degrees, enrollment and attendance depends on logistical and pedagogical possibilities.
|Methodology of Legal Research||8||Cybercrime||6|
|International Tax Law||6|
|Direito Penal Económico||6||Data Protection and Management Law*||6|
|Energy, Climate and the Just Transition||4|
|EU Criminal Law||4|
(The above list does not exhaust all options on offer.)
*Data Protection and Management Law is a course offered by NOVA School of Law’s Jean Monnet Module on European Union Data Protection Law in Portugal (DataporEU)
2nd year – Research
|Thesis, internship at national or international institution or project work||60|
This Master offers students the challenge of an innovative set of course units and finance, opportunities to meet and network with leading financial institutions, to gain a hands-on experience through an internship in a financial institution and to benefit from an international experience at a top university in Europe or beyond, through NOVA School of Law’s membership of the THEMIS Network.
It is ranked among the best in Western Europe in International Business Law by Eduniversal, an international agency that publishes the annual ranking of the best MBA and Master programs in the world.
- Total Tuition Fee – National and International Student: 6300.00€;
- Annual fee for the taught component – National and International Student: 4300.00€;
- Total Semester Tuition Fee for Non-curricular phase: 2000.00€;
- Tuition Fee for Additional Non-Curricular semester – National and International Student: 1000.00€;
- Extension of the non-curricular phase (90 days): 600€
Reading of this information does not exempt consultation of the full documentation regarding fees, emoluments and taxes for the academic year in question.
Tuition fees are annual and due in full upon enrolment in the course. Payment in instalments is allowed for students’ mere convenience.
In the case of withdrawal from the course, the amounts already paid are not refundable. The remaining tuition fee payments due for the academic year to which the application relates must also be paid.
Only in situations where the applicant does not complete the degree which they are applying for (in these cases, the applicant must submit a declaration from the institution of higher education by September), the amounts paid for the tuition fee will be reimbursed (application fee, School insurance and administrative costs are not reimbursed).
Payments must be made via ATM or through PayPal using the references available in the reserved area. Failure to pay tuition fees within the time limits indicated results in an increase in the amount to be settled and/or the suspension of enrolment and registration, as well as the invalidity of all curricular acts practised in the academic year in which the non-compliance is not respected.
Students who choose to pay tuition fees in a one-off initial payment at the time of registration receive a 5% discount on the amount to be paid.
Merit Awards are awarded to:
- Candidates whose final average admission to a 2nd study cycle at NOVA School of Law, according to assessment and ranking by the appropriate jury, is equal to or higher than 17 points (on a scale of 0/20) and who enrol and attend the same course, benefit from an award in cash corresponding to 50% of the tuition fee for the taught component of the Master’s degree.
- Candidates whose final average admission to a 2nd study cycle at NOVA School of Law, according to assessment and ranking by the appropriate jury, is equal to or higher than 16 points (on a scale of 0/20) and who enrol and attend the same course, benefit from an award in cash corresponding to 30% of the tuition fee for the taught component of the Master’s degree.
In the non-taught phase, three prizes for academic merit are awarded (by master’s degree or area of specialization, in the case of the Master’s Degree in Law). These awards assume the completion of the taught component within the stipulated time.
- The best student of the taught component of each study cycle or specialization area of a study cycle who continues and attends the non-taught phase benefits from an award in cash corresponding to 100% of the tuition fee for the non-taught phase of the Master’s degree;
- The second-best student of the taught component of each study cycle or specialization area of a study cycle who continues and attends the non-taught phase, benefits from an award in cash corresponding to 60% of the tuition fee, corresponding to the non-taught phase of the Master’s degree;
- The third-best student of the taught component of each study cycle or specialization area of a study cycle who continues and attends the non-taught phase of the Master’s degree.
Emoluments/Charges and Taxes Fees
- Application fee: 51.00€
- Administrative costs per registration/enrolment (each year): 35.00€
- Institution insurance (each year): 3.00€
- Registration Certificate: 6.00 €
- Improvement grade exam: 15.00 €/enrolement
- Conclusion Certificate: 50€
Length 4 Semesters
Taught in English
Entries: 40 places
Applications from students who prove they will be able to complete their bachelor’s degree(licenciatura) by September will be accepted.
The candidates are admitted as Postgraduate students. All students successfully admitted to the taught component are guaranteed the right to proceed to the non-curricular phase of the Master’s programme.
1st Phase of Applications:
- Submission of applications: From 1 to 28 February 2022
- Announcement of placements: 9 March 2022
- Complaint about placements: From 9 to 16 March 2022
- Enrolment: From 16 to 22 March 2022
2nd Phase of Applications:
- Submission of applications: From 1 to 26 April 2022
- Announcement of placements: 9 May 2022
- Complaint about placements: From 9 to 16 May 2022
- Enrolment: From 16 to 23 May 2022
Holders of a bachelor’s degree (licenciatura) or legal equivalent.
Applicants will be selected according to the following parameters:
- Final grade of the degree which the applicant is applying with (50%);
- Relevance and suitability of previous background to the master’s degree course with regard to the pluridisciplinary nature of the course (50%); the jury assigns each applicant a grade of 0 to 20, based on analysis of the letter of motivation and curriculum vitae. If necessary, the members of the jury may decide to conduct an interview with all or some of the applicants. Due consideration is given to: (i) a degree in Law, (ii) for post-Bologna graduates, a degree corresponding to at least 240 ECTS;
- Applicants with a rating lower than 9.5 will automatically be excluded.
Submission of Applications (Online):
- Completion of the application form (online);
- Payment of the application fee using the ATM or Paypal reference provided (51.00€);
- Online submission of the following documents: motivation letter, curriculum vitae (European model), copy of the course(s) certificate(s); copy of the tax number identification card; copy of the Identification Card;
- Applicants conditioned upon the conclusion of the bachelor’s degree must submit an interim academic transcript showing the subjects already completed and their final grades discriminated and a declaration under oath stating the course, school, expected average and the the conclusion date. In addition, a statement from the institution of higher education where they are attending the degree should be submitted, proving their academic situation;
- Applicants with foreign qualifications must send an academic transcript showing the coefficient of performance or a statement with the final average of the degree. Applicants are conditioned to the respective formal recognition or equivalence of the foreign qualification by a competent Portuguese authority, under the regime of the Decree-Law no. 66/2018, of August 16 (certificate or proof of submission of the request to be presented until September).
- Applicants who do not report the final grade average, expected or completed will be graded with a minimum score of 10 on the 0-20 scale.
- During the application, candidates must submit a request for accreditation of academic qualifications and professional experience obtained before entering the study cycle. For this purpose, the applicant must complete the appropriate form and attach all relevant documentation. When the request for accreditation occurs at the time of the application, the accreditation is not a sufficient condition to be accepted into the study cycle and only can be granted after the admission into the study cycle, in the same study cycle only.
- All documents must be presented in Portuguese, English, French or Spanish, and endorsed by the competent authority of the State where the document originates.
Applications omitting the documents requested or where the application fee has not been paid will be rejected.
Applications available through the NOVA School of Law applications portal.
Readmission is the act by which a student, after interruption of studies in an institution/course of higher education, enrols in the same institution and enrols in the same course or in a course which has replaced it.
SCHOOL YEAR 2021/2022
Students who can apply for readmission to any cycle of studies:
- Must have already been enrolled and enrolled at the NOVA School of Law, in the same course or in a course in which they are already registered, without having completed it
- Must not have been enrolled in that course in the previous academic year to the one in which they intend to be readmitted to
Those students whose registration has lapsed due to the requirements in force may apply for readmission once two school semesters have elapsed since the date of the regulations
The Faculty reserves the right to refuse readmission to applications from students whose curricular record indicates serious difficulties in adapting to the study plan in force and to the type of teaching provided at the NOVA School of Law. Requests from students who are in debt to the Faculty for tuition fees or any other amounts will be rejected, subject to the provisions of Law Nº. 75/2019, of September 2.
Deadlines for submission of applications: – 2nd semester 2021/2022
Submission of the application
From 14 to 23 January 2022
Announcement of placements
28 January 2022
Complaint about placements
28 January to 04 February 2022
07 to 11 February 2022
Instructions for submitting the application (online):
The application is submitted online through the website of NOVA School of Law by filling in a form and uploading the necessary documents, namely:
- Online submission of a simple photocopy of the citizen card or passport (international applicants)
- Payment of the application fee through the Multibanco/PayPal references that will appear during the application process 70.00€ (non-refundable)
The student must print proof of the online application, essential for any subsequent steps.
Fees and Emoluments
Administrative cost per enrolment/registration (annual)
Note: to these amounts must be added the annual fees applicable to the study cycle relevant to the academic year 2021/22 (see the relevant notice).
Tuition fees are fixed annually by the General Council of the NOVA University Lisbon.
The reading of this information does not exempt consultation of the relevant legislation and regulations, the public notice of fees, and the table of fees in force of the respective school year.
Applications that are not accompanied by all the documents or whose fee has not been paid will automatically be rejected.
Regulations Applicable: Decree-Law Nº. 36/2014, of March 10th, altered by Decree-Law Nº. 62/2018, of August 6th, and Regulation Nº. 436/2020, of April 28th, of the NOVA School of Law.
Applications through the NOVA School of Law applications portal.