Master's in Law – Specialization in Social Law and Innovation
Being human is not an option
The NOVA School of Law is at the forefront of higher education, characterized by its innovation. The importance of Social Law and Innovation are well recognized.
The fundamental goal of the course is to provide an integrated vision of a wide range of fields of study, such as Labour Law, Social Security Law, Migration Law, and Resolution Conflict with its emergent legislation. The course is valued for its blend of traditional law with developments in the associated areas of Social and Innovation Law.
The course aims to provide law graduates with a balanced education in emerging areas of law, and to equip them with the necessary tools for a specialized career in a range of professional fields. The interdisciplinary course structure facilitates strategies to deal with complex problem resolution inherent in Social and Innovation Law.
President: Cristina Queiroz | Board Members: Francisco Pereira Coutinho (taught component) | João Zenha Martins (taught component) | Lúcio Tomé Feteira (non-taught component) | Fabrizio Esposito (non-taught component)
Consolidate and deepen the knowledge acquired in the bachelor’s degree, especially with regard to Social and Innovation Law; Understand the structure, interconnection and scope of different social laws; Develop skills in scientific research; Identify labour negotiation strategies and conflict resolution with regard to labour, procedure, migration and social security; Knowledge of essential innovatory tools for a professional career in the field.
The Master in Social and Innovation Law deepens the knowledge and skills acquired at bachelor degree level. Holders of a bachelor’s law degree or equivalent will be given preference in admissions.
This course is taught during working hours*.
*Some Optional Curricular Units may have schedules that do not match the timetable of the course.
|Study Cycle||Degree||A3ES Decision||Number of Years||Publication of the A3ES decision||DGES registration number||Publication in Diário da República|
1st year – Taught Component
|Metodologia da Investigação Jurídica*||8|
|Introdução à Mediação**||8|
|Filosofia Social e Política||6|
|Direito Internacional Público Avançado||6|
|Human Rights International Protection Systems||6|
|Direito do Trabalho em Funções Públicas||6|
|Direitos Fundamentais Sociais||6|
|International Humanitarian Law||6|
|Life Sciences Law||6|
|Business, Human Rights and Sustainability||4|
|Emerging Technologies: Governance and Regulation||4|
|Three Forms of Injustice: New Work in Legal and Political Philosophy||4|
|Mediação – Técnicas e Processo**||8|
|Direito Europeu do Trabalho||6|
|Processo Penal Especial||6|
|Direito da Economia Social||6|
|Direito Processual do Trabalho||6|
|EU Asylum and Migration Law||6|
|Direito do Desporto||4|
|Direito da Família e da Criança||4|
|Energy, Climate and the Just Transition||4|
|Ethics and Regulation of Artificial Intelligence||4|
OP= Restricted Options (total 32 ECTS)
*Same course, different language of tuition. Students must choose the version they wish to attend (Portuguese or English).
**The successful completion of both curricular units, fulfilling the minimum requirement of class attendance, represents certified training, giving access to the list of certified mediators of the Ministry of Justice.
In addition to the mandatory courses, students must complete 32 ECTS in the elective courses listed above and 20 ECTS in any courses taught at NOVA School of Law or selected from the above electives.
Total ECTS Taught Component: 60 ECTS
Para além da disciplina obrigatória, os/as estudantes devem completar 32 ECTS em disciplinas de opção restrita de entre aqui elencadas e 20 ECTS em disciplinas de opção livre que podem escolher livremente de qualquer disciplina lecionada na NOVA School of Law. Total de ECTS da fase letiva: 60 ECTS
2nd year – Research
|1st Semester / 2nd Semester||ECTS|
|Tese, estágio em instituição nacional ou internacional ou trabalho de projeto||60|
- Total Tuition Fee – National and International Student: 6300.00€;
- Annual fee for the taught component – National and International Student: 4300.00€;
- Total Semester Tuition Fee for Non-curricular phase: 2000.00€;
- Tuition Fee for Additional Non-Curricular semester – National and International Student: 1000.00€;
- Extension of the non-curricular phase (90 days): 600€
Reading of this information does not exempt consultation of the full documentation regarding fees, emoluments and taxes for the academic year in question.
Tuition fees are annual and due in full upon enrolment in the course. Payment in instalments is allowed for students’ mere convenience.
In the case of withdrawal from the course, the amounts already paid are not refundable. The remaining tuition fee payments due for the academic year to which the application relates must also be paid.
Only in situations where the applicant does not complete the degree which they are applying for (in these cases, the applicant must submit a declaration from the institution of higher education by September), the amounts paid for the tuition fee will be reimbursed (application fee, School insurance and administrative costs are not reimbursed).
Payments must be made via ATM or through PayPal using the references available in the reserved area. Failure to pay tuition fees within the time limits indicated results in an increase in the amount to be settled and/or the suspension of enrolment and registration, as well as the invalidity of all curricular acts practised in the academic year in which the non-compliance is not respected.
Students who choose to pay tuition fees in a one-off initial payment at the time of registration receive a 5% discount on the amount to be paid.
Merit Awards are awarded to:
- Candidates whose final average admission to a 2nd study cycle at NOVA School of Law, according to assessment and ranking by the appropriate jury, is equal to or higher than 17 points (on a scale of 0/20) and who enrol and attend the same course, benefit from an award in cash corresponding to 50% of the tuition fee for the taught component of the Master’s degree.
- Candidates whose final average admission to a 2nd study cycle at NOVA School of Law, according to assessment and ranking by the appropriate jury, is equal to or higher than 16 points (on a scale of 0/20) and who enrol and attend the same course, benefit from an award in cash corresponding to 30% of the tuition fee for the taught component of the Master’s degree.
In the non-taught phase, three prizes for academic merit are awarded (by master’s degree or area of specialization, in the case of the Master’s Degree in Law). These awards assume the completion of the taught component within the stipulated time.
- The best student of the taught component of each study cycle or specialization area of a study cycle who continues and attends the non-taught phase benefits from an award in cash corresponding to 100% of the tuition fee for the non-taught phase of the Master’s degree;
- The second-best student of the taught component of each study cycle or specialization area of a study cycle who continues and attends the non-taught phase, benefits from an award in cash corresponding to 60% of the tuition fee, corresponding to the non-taught phase of the Master’s degree;
- The third-best student of the taught component of each study cycle or specialization area of a study cycle who continues and attends the non-taught phase of the Master’s degree.
Emoluments/Charges and Taxes Fees
- Application fee: 51.00€
- Administrative costs per registration/enrolment (each year): 35.00€
- Institution insurance (each year): 3.00€
Length 4 Semesters
Entries: 120 places
These places are available within the areas of specialization of International and European Law, Business Law and Technology (“Law & Tech”), and Social and Innovation Law.
Applications from students who prove they will be able to complete their bachelor’s degree(licenciatura) by September will be accepted.
1st Phase of Applications:
- Submission of applications: From 1 to 28 February 2022
- Announcement of placements: 9 March 2022
- Complaint about placements: From 9 to 16 March 2022
- Enrolment: From 16 to 22 March 2022
Holders of a bachelor’s degree (licenciatura) or legal equivalent.
- Final grade of the degree which the applicant is applying with (50%)
- Relevance and suitability of previous background to the master’s degree course with regard to the pluridisciplinary nature of the course (50%); the jury assigns each applicant a grade of 0 to 20, based on analysis of the letter of motivation and curriculum vitae. If necessary, the members of the jury may decide to conduct an interview with all or some of the applicants
- Applicants with a rating lower than 9.5 will automatically be excluded.
Submission of Applications (Online):
- Completion of the application form (online)
- Payment of the application fee using the ATM or Paypal reference provided through the submission procedure (51.00€)
- Online submission of the following documents: motivation letter, curriculum vitae (European model), copy of the course(s) certificate(s); copy of the tax number identification card; copy of the Identification Card
- Applicants conditioned upon the conclusion of the bachelor’s degree must submit an interim academic transcript showing the subjects already completed with their final grades, and the degree, the institution, expected average and the conclusion date. In addition, a statement from the institution of higher education where they are attending the degree should be submitted, proving their academic situation
- Applicants with foreign qualifications must send an academic transcript or a declaration with the final average of the degree
- Applicants who do not report the final grade average, expected or completed will be graded with a minimum score of 10 on the 0-20 scale
- During the application, candidates must submit a request for accreditation of academic qualifications and professional experience obtained before entering the study cycle. For this purpose, the applicant must complete the appropriate form and attach all relevant documentation. When the request for accreditation occurs at the time of the application, the accreditation is not a sufficient condition to be accepted into the study cycle and only can be granted after the admission into the study cycle, in the same study cycle only
- All documents must be presented in Portuguese, English, French or Spanish, and endorsed by the competent authority of the State where the document originates.
Applications omitting the documents requested or where the application fee has not been paid will be rejected.
Applications available through the NOVA School of Law applications portal.
Readmission is the act by which a student, after interruption of studies in an institution/course of higher education, enrols in the same institution and enrols in the same course or in a course which has replaced it.
SCHOOL YEAR 2021/2022
Students who can apply for readmission to any cycle of studies:
- Must have already been enrolled and enrolled at the NOVA School of Law, in the same course or in a course in which they are already registered, without having completed it
- Must not have been enrolled in that course in the previous academic year to the one in which they intend to be readmitted to
Those students whose registration has lapsed due to the requirements in force may apply for readmission once two school semesters have elapsed since the date of the regulations
The Faculty reserves the right to refuse readmission to applications from students whose curricular record indicates serious difficulties in adapting to the study plan in force and to the type of teaching provided at the NOVA School of Law. Requests from students who are in debt to the Faculty for tuition fees or any other amounts will be rejected, subject to the provisions of Law Nº. 75/2019, of September 2.
Deadlines for submission of applications: – 2nd semester 2021/2022
Submission of the application
From 14 to 23 January 2022
Announcement of placements
28 January 2022
Complaint about placements
28 January to 04 February 2022
07 to 11 February 2022
Instructions for submitting the application (online):
The application is submitted online through the website of NOVA School of Law by filling in a form and uploading the necessary documents, namely:
- Online submission of a simple photocopy of the citizen card or passport (international applicants)
- Payment of the application fee through the Multibanco/PayPal references that will appear during the application process 70.00€ (non-refundable)
The student must print proof of the online application, essential for any subsequent steps.
Fees and Emoluments
Administrative cost per enrolment/registration (annual)
Note: to these amounts must be added the annual fees applicable to the study cycle relevant to the academic year 2021/22 (see the relevant notice).
Tuition fees are fixed annually by the General Council of the NOVA University Lisbon.
The reading of this information does not exempt consultation of the relevant legislation and regulations, the public notice of fees, and the table of fees in force of the respective school year.
Applications that are not accompanied by all the documents or whose fee has not been paid will automatically be rejected.
Regulations Applicable: Decree-Law Nº. 36/2014, of March 10th, altered by Decree-Law Nº. 62/2018, of August 6th, and Regulation Nº. 436/2020, of April 28th, of the NOVA School of Law.
Applications through the NOVA School of Law applications portal.