Master in Law – Specialization in Public Law
A matter of citizenship
President: Cristina Queiroz | Board Members: Francisco Pereira Coutinho (taught component) | João Zenha Martins (taught component) | Lúcio Tomé Feteira (non-taught component) | Fabrizio Esposito (non-taught component)
Building on and expanding previously acquired notions of Public Law, combining traditional and innovative areas or Public Law of transnational relevance; fostering and improving research and academic skills, whilst providing additional professional competences that may prove useful in the job market.
Graduates in Law or in other social sciences who wish to acquire or expand their knowledge of Public Law.
This course is taught during working hours*.
*Some Optional Curricular Units may have schedules that do not match the timetable of the course.
|Degree||A3ES Decision||Number of Years||Publication of the A3ES Decision||DGES Registration Number||Publication in Diário da República|
R/A -Ef 3196/2011/AL03
Tuition Fees, Emoluments/Charges and Taxes
Tuition fees are subject to approval of the General Council of NOVA University, Lisbon.
- Application fee: 51.00€
- Administrative costs per registration/enrolment (each year): 35.00€
- School insurance (each year): 3.00€
- Annual fee of the taught component: 4,200.00€
- Non-curricular phase, one year: 2,000.00€
- Enrolment in additional semester of the non-taught component (dissertation): 1000,00€
- Extension of the non-curricular component: 600.00€
Consult the full documentation regarding fees, emoluments and taxes for the academic year in question.
The application fee is to be paid by ATM or Paypal. The reference will be given online upon submission of the application form.
Tuition fees are annual and due in full upon enrolment in the course. The payment in instalments is allowed for the students’ mere convenience.
In the case of withdrawal from the course, the amounts already paid are not refundable. The remaining tuition fee payments due for the academic year to which the application relates must also be paid.
- Students whose final average admission to this Master is equal to or higher than 17 points (on a scale 0/20) benefit from a 50% discount on the total amount of the tuition fee.
- Students whose final average admission to this Master is equal to or higher than 16 points (on a scale 0/20) benefit from a 30% discount on the total amount of the tuition fee.
- Three merit scholarships will be granted in the non-curricular semester (in either the master’s or specialization area): one corresponding to the total of the tuition fee, which will be awarded to the best grade in the taught component, and the other two merit scholarships will be granted to the second and third best classifications, which will receive a reduction of 50% of the tuition fee. To assess the best classifications in the taught component, only the classifications obtained in the NOVA School of Law will be taken into account. This scholarship assumes the conclusion of the curricular phase is within the stipulated time limit.
- Students or ex-students (undergraduate, graduate, master’s and doctoral) with a degree already completed at NOVA School of Law benefit from a 10% discount on the tuition fee, in addition to the financial discount.
- Students who choose to pay tuition fees in a single initial payment (for the entire study cycle) receive a 5% discount on the amount to be paid;
- Students who choose to pay tuition fees in two annual payments receive a 2.5% discount on the amount to be paid.
Current Protocol Discounts
Discount of 25%, which cannot be combined with other discounts, for members of:
- Association of Portuguese Judges and the Trade Union
- Association of Public Prosecution Service Magistrates.
* Discount on the annual fee is only provided if the degree is completed within the stipulated time limit.
* Discounts are applied on the final payment of the tuition fee.
National and International Students
Annual fee of the thaught component: 4.200,00 €
|Instalments||Amount €||Payment deadline|
|1.st payment||1,260.00€||Upon registration/enrolment|
|2.nd payment||420.00€||From 1 to 10 September 2020|
|3.rd payment||420.00€||From 1 to 10 October 2020|
|4.th payment||420.00€||From 1 to 10 January 2021|
|5.th payment||420.00€||From 1 to 10 February 2021|
|6.th payment||420.00€||From 1 to 10 March 2021|
|7.th payment||420.00€||From 1 to 10 April 2021|
|8.th payment||420.00€||From 1 to 10 May 2021|
Tuition fees are annual and are due in full upon enrolment in the course.
Annual fee of the research component: 1,000.00 €
|Instalments||Amount €||Payment deadline|
|1.st payment||250.00€||Upon registration/enrolment|
|2.nd payment||250.00€||From 1 to 10 January 2021|
|3.rd payment||250.00€||From 1 to 10 March 2021|
|4.th payment||250.00€||From 1 to 10 May 2021|
Tuition fee of the extension of the research component: 600.00 €
Request for extension of the dissertation, internship report or work project delivery deadline, (90 days).
|Single parcel||600.00€||Before the delivery of the dissertation, internship report or work project.|
Students who have already been admitted onto the Master’s Degree continue to pay the amounts announced at the time of their application. If the students do not conclude the course in due time, the amounts published in this current notice will be applied.
If the student does not deliver the dissertation within the time limit, they can register for another year paying the corresponding amount of 2,000.00€
Emoluments/Charges and Taxes
The charges presented in the table below are currently applicable. The publication of the national table of fees and charges of academic acts and services of public university education and polytechnic higher education is still awaited, and consequently charges may change at any time.
|Designation||Amount €||Payment Deadline|
|Administrative costs per enrolment/registration||35.00€||Upon registration/enrolment|
|School Insurance||3.00€||Upon registration/enrolment|
|Registration Certificate||6.00€||At time of the request|
|Conclusion Certificate||50.00€||At time of the request|
|Improvement grade exam||15.00€||At time of the request|
Payments must be made by ATM or Paypal using the references available at Netpa (student area). Failure to pay tuition fees within the indicated periods may incur an increased charge in the amount to be paid or the suspension of registration and enrolment, as well as the nullity of all acts performed in the academic year to which the non-compliance relates.
Length 4 Semesters
Entries: 120 places
These places are available within the areas of specialization of International and European Law, Law and Technology, Social and Innovation Law, and Public Law.
Applications from students who prove they will be able to complete their bachelor’s degree(licenciatura) by September will be accepted.
1st Phase of Applications:
- Submission of applications: From 1 to 28 February 2022
- Announcement of placements: 9 March 2022
- Complaint about placements: From 9 to 16 March 2022
- Enrolment: From 16 to 22 March 2022
Readmission is the act by which a student, after interruption of studies in an institution/course of higher education, enrols in the same institution and enrols in the same course or in a course which has replaced it.
SCHOOL YEAR 2021/2022
Students who can apply for readmission to any cycle of studies:
- Must have already been enrolled and enrolled at the NOVA School of Law, in the same course or in a course in which they are already registered, without having completed it
- Must not have been enrolled in that course in the previous academic year to the one in which they intend to be readmitted to
Those students whose registration has lapsed due to the requirements in force may apply for readmission once two school semesters have elapsed since the date of the regulations
The Faculty reserves the right to refuse readmission to applications from students whose curricular record indicates serious difficulties in adapting to the study plan in force and to the type of teaching provided at the NOVA School of Law. Requests from students who are in debt to the Faculty for tuition fees or any other amounts will be rejected, subject to the provisions of Law Nº. 75/2019, of September 2.
Deadlines for submission of applications: – 2nd semester 2021/2022
Submission of the application
From 14 to 23 January 2022
Announcement of placements
28 January 2022
Complaint about placements
28 January to 04 February 2022
07 to 11 February 2022
Instructions for submitting the application (online):
The application is submitted online through the website of NOVA School of Law by filling in a form and uploading the necessary documents, namely:
- Online submission of a simple photocopy of the citizen card or passport (international applicants)
- Payment of the application fee through the Multibanco/PayPal references that will appear during the application process 70.00€ (non-refundable)
The student must print proof of the online application, essential for any subsequent steps.
Fees and emoluments:
Administrative cost per enrolment/registration (annual)
Note: to these amounts must be added the annual fees applicable to the study cycle relevant to the academic year 2021/22 (see the relevant notice).
Tuition fees are fixed annually by the General Council of the NOVA University Lisbon.
Applications that are not accompanied by all the documents or whose fee has not been paid will automatically be rejected.
Regulations Applicable: Decree-Law Nº. 36/2014, of March 10th, altered by Decree-Law Nº. 62/2018, of August 6th, and Regulation Nº. 436/2020, of April 28th, of the NOVA School of Law.
Applications through the NOVA School of Law applications portal.